Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nabucodinosaur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
Hi,

after the installation of additional audio drives, I assume for some kind of conflict, the function keys on my Macbook Pro 2015 stopped working (i.e. they do "hit" but take different functions from the special brightness/volume adjustments they normally have).

Yes I have checked the Keyboard section, and the "Use function keys as normal function keys" (or whatever that it's called) checkbox is unchecked, yes I have zapped the PRAM and SMC multiple times, yes I have uninstalled the audio device that I assume caused the malfunction, and just to be sure I have wiped the whole HD and reinstalled Big Sur from scratch... To no avail.

Now I assume that in order to solve the problem I have to restore the Macbook from scratch and delete the MacOs Base system from the hard drive: how would I then proceed to a new install of the OS? Does anyone know if this might help? Has anyone been in this same situation?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Best and thanks in advance!

G

DAMcG

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021
Crazy - I've had the exact same problem occur on the same 2015 model MacBook today!
I've tied the things you have as well - hope someone else has found a solution and shares it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.