Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdavis501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
I have a 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. Running MacOS Mojave 10.14.5. I'm new to MacOS, but really like what I see.

My question is about the function keys. I don't have physical function keys. Instead I must press the "fn" key at the bottom left of my keyboard and then all of the function keys show in the Touch Bar. I really like this. Problem is, only the F11 and F12 do anything! F11 minimizes the window and F12 takes me to the dashboard. But it was my understanding that I should be able to raise and lower the display brightness and sound by using the function keys. I have an older MacOS book that shows the "default" Mac function keys. None of my keys do anything (except for F11 and F12) and even those don't seem to correspond to the default values.

When researching this, I see many responses that say to check or uncheck the box that talks about using F1 and F2 etc as function keys. I don't even HAVE such a box to check. Instead, I have a drop down in system preferences - keyboard-keyboard that says, "Press fn key to show F1, F2...". This absolutely works fine. Furthermore, all of the shortcuts in system preferences keyboard keyboard shortcuts work and I notice that F11 and F12 are the ONLY function keys that are shown.

So, am I correct to assume that the default function key assignment is blank except for F11 and F12?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.