Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chedda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Underwater
Hello all, i recently got a contract to shoot a model in a fur store.I am not a professional photographer i am a friend of the client. Apart from the textbook full length shots i also took some candid portrait shots which in my opinion are always better than stiff/posed shots. Let me know what you think camera nikon d70.

Attachments

• DSC_5438_2.jpg
    DSC_5438_2.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_5556_2.jpg
    DSC_5556_2.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_5575_2.jpg
    DSC_5575_2.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_5628_2.jpg
    DSC_5628_2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 104

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I'm confused... is "the client" the fur store, and they want some commercial photos to use in advertisements? Or is "the client" the woman who just wants portraits of herself and the fact that she is in a fur store incidental to what she wants? What is the connection between the woman and the fur store?

You'll have to fill in some more details in order for us to figure out what you were trying to go for taking these pictures and offer some constructive advice...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hello all, i recently got a contract to shoot a model in a fur store.I am not a professional photographer i am a friend of the client. Apart from the textbook full length shots i also took some candid portrait shots which in my opinion are always better than stiff/posed shots. Let me know what you think camera nikon d70.

If your posed shots are stiff, then you haven't relaxed the model enough. The hars shadows on the faces aren't that flattering IMO.

First shot: can't see fur, can't see model's face well, rack is distracting, door frame gets in the way too much, model isn't looking at the camera, model is too formal for the overall shot, needs better white balance or better background lights.

Second shot: needs fill light, needs better background, shadow on model's face isn't flattering, folds and wrinkles on jacket don't work- especially with the pose, pose would be better with model looking more in direction body is turned needs better white balance or better background lights.

Third shot: Would prefer model looking at camera, model needs to smile, would have side-lit the coat for some fur detail, probably with a silver reflector, needs better white balance.

Fourth shot: Best of the bunch, crop out the distracting shadow at the top, model would look *significantly* better with both a smile and a catchlight in her eyes. A little fill wouldn't hurt here either- product shots should generally be more "open/happy." Not necessarily flat lighting, but this'd be a great shot with a smile and a bit of fill from the right. Finally, white balance! The hair in the back is a little unmanaged, but it'd probably pass with a bit more light.

That's my two cents...

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
When shooting products for advertisement it is extremely important to understand color management and how to us the white balance on your camera. It appears to me you may want to check the instruction book on your camera again. The shots appear to me to be nothing more than snapshots. Not to sound harsh, but if this were my work I would not submit it to my client.

chedda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Underwater
Response

Thankyou for your responses people. I am by no means a professional photographer it was more of a favour than a job. I only had my straight camera with no extra equipment or flash. I was asked to come along originally as an extra photographer to a professional. However the whole thing was a mess really laughable . The photographer didn't arrive it was just me, the model and someone from the magazine. I was honestly lost, the journalist explained they needed a white background so they could cut images to present them on a white page (not the best start). So the owner and journalist decided to set up the photos at the far back of the store under those yellowish spotlights (bad move). These all threw heavy shadows across the models face. I protested to the conditions that's why i took those candid (backstage shots) as they where towards the front of the premises. I managed to get the model outside eventually however the sun made her squint (Cyprus) so sunglasses were added. The whole morning was really a comedy of errors there was no one doing her hair or helping just me lost & laughing ! The last shot was heavily colour corrected and i lifted some shadows from her face. I have attached some more full length shots which i hope are better ! I learn't a lot and understand why the pros reflect light and use extra flashes etc. It was a really low budget , light hearted affair really. The shop was really tiny and the white wall was really small ! I believe all your criticism was constructive plus i hope this reply has filled in some gaps in the story.

Attachments

• DSC_5290_2.jpg
    DSC_5290_2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_5425_2.jpg
    DSC_5425_2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_5317_2.jpg
    DSC_5317_2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_5367_2.jpg
    DSC_5367_2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_5405_2.jpg
    DSC_5405_2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.