Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
When my Power Mac G5 Quad wakes from sleep, or the fans need to ramp up, they don't seem to ever ramp back down to idle levels until I restart. This is very annoying to listen to as I try to take part in the PowerPC Challenge, akin to the noise level a certain YouTuber was experiencing.

My Quad is special, in that this collection of parts didn't come out of the factory together; I built the thing myself from a late 2005 dual-core's case, logic board, CPUs/LCS, and PSU. I'm wondering if this means I simply need to attempt a thermal calibration, if so it would be helpful to know what ASD version to look for.

Any advice is appreciated.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Normally a G5 quad would use ASD 2.6.3, but for your collection of bits-n-pieces I'm, not so sure...
If you run into any problem locating an ASD img, I might be able to help.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Normally a G5 quad would use ASD 2.6.3, but for your collection of bits-n-pieces I'm, not so sure...

SEND HELP.

No matter how hard I look, I cannot find an ASD 2.6.3 image ANYWHERE.

D:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Glad someone brought back this thread, I haven't booted up the quad-core in a while and so had forgotten about the issue.

This is what troubles me about 2.6.3 (in the read me file):
* ASD 2.6.3 for PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) will not boot on the OS portion the DVD, only OF testing is supported. If you attempt to run Diagnostic (OS) from the system picker the system will hang while trying to boot into OS.

Several years ago when I attempted to calibrate an earlier dual-processor Power Mac G5 I simply booted into the diagnostic OS and did so from there. Does the calibration on the Late 2005 have to be run some other way?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
The only way I've ever run it is to boot from the ASD DVD. (power on while pressing the "C" key).
This has always worked for me so I never tried other booting methods.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The only way I've ever run it is to boot from the ASD DVD. (power on while pressing the "C" key).
This has always worked for me so I never tried other booting methods.

TY SO MUCH, MY LIFE IS COMPLETE.

Now this G5 will prosper for AGES!

WOO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.