Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Hello!
This is unusual, considering I generally can help most people

Anyways
I was reconfiguring my workshop last night, and after not booting my PMacG5 for close to 2 months, I decided I would hit the button and see what happens. As it turns out, it clicks, the fans twitch, but it won't get further than that.

I removed and reseated the RAM, fans, and CMOS battery, checked the CMOS battery, (it's pretty good), and put everything back.

What I have not tried is reseating processors, power supply connectors, etc

I have removed the HDD in the assumption that constantly trying to hit power would not be good for it

Please send help quickly, I need this machine to work for tomorrow ;)

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Try resetting the PMU. The process is below.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1436

Another thing to try is to unplug everything from the box, completely discharg any stored electricity by holding the power button for 5-10 seconds & let it sit for a few hours up to overnight - then plug it back in & give it a try.

The thought being that a cap in the psu is going bad so draining everything may help you to get it started long enough to use & then swap out with a new psu.

Best of luck. Mine did the same - got it started a few times but ultimately a new psu fixed it.

Reactions: AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.