Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
So I'm looking for a mid-high range non-SLR camera, and I'm stuck between these three: the G7, S3-IS, and the A710-IS.

I'd like to be able to use the camera as a simple point and shoot at times, but also use it for hobby photography (which all 3 cameras should do fine, since they all have aperture and shutter priority modes.)

I've seen all in person but the 710IS, but the G7 seems to have the best build quality of the three, and it (narrowly) beats out the other two with the features (from what I've seen.) It also has the best control layout.

A flip out screen is not important to me. The 12x zoom of the S3 is somewhat useful, but I don't really need it. The hot shoe on the G7 intrigues me, and I might make use of it, as most compact or p&s cameras have rather weak flashes. I don't really need the 10 megapixels of the G7, but it does have a (slightly) bigger sensor than the other two, although it has issues in low light, and higher ISOs. I've seen sample photos, and it's no worse than what I'm used to with my S50, so I'm not complaining.

I've been using a Rebel XTi recently, but I won't have it for long, and I have the opportunity to get a new camera soon, and I want the closest experience I can get to dSLR without the size and cost.

My basic point is, is it worth it to get the G7 over the other two?

What camera would you get between these three, and would you recommend any other cameras with similar feature sets?

my girlfriend went for the S3 after i read the good critics from PraticalPhotography(a britt publication) and the review from various web sites.

Admitly she was not too happy with it, blurry pictures despite shaking/vibration system, pictures burned with the flash, great zoom but you can't use it with macro...
Then i asked her if she would consider reading the documentation?
I had a look at the camera myself and found it has exposure compensation, white balance setting and flash compensation...
That was 10min lesson on her camera and huge improvement on her pictures... she is much more happy with her camera than before.
Now what to make out of it? well the S3 is a fairly good camera but obviously it doesn't come as intuitive for beginner as you'd think. If you have time to read the doc or if you have someone to give you a 10/30min lesson on your camera after you played with it for around a month, i'd say you'll be happy with this one. if you're going for pointAndClick then just forget it.
bozigle

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I'm recommending the A710-IS for my mom. The G7 looks nice, but her price range doesn't run up to $600. One thing to consider about the price difference is that the G7 includes a battery. Of course, if you already have a AA-size battery charger and rechargable batteries, that isn't really an issue, but it does cut a little into the $200 difference.

If you're used to an XTi, I think the more manual approach of the G7 and solid feel would be appealing. On the other hand, what else could you/would you do with $200?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Well, I'd actually prefer having a camera that takes AA batteries, because if your rechargeable batteries are dead, you can just pick some up at a gas station in a bind. I have a Canon S50, which uses the same batteries as the G7, so I'll have 4 of those batteries if I were to go that route.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
i have the A710 IS and the zoom is noisy compared to the almost silent one on the S3.
looks cheap but takes great pics and the IS is great.
but i'm going to return it and get the S3 hopefully if it goes on sale during boxing week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.