Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catfish743

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Kentucky
I know I posted a thread about a point and shoot but I've been looking more at the G9. I've been interested in photography for a while; would this camera be good for me. I'm looking for something I could not only take around by itself but use for amateur photography with lenses eventually. Any opinions or ideas?

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
I love my G9, and it gets a lot of use when I don't want to lug around my D300. Shoots in RAW, easy controls, full auto when you want it. Battery life could be better.

But: be sure you pick one up before you buy it. It is much larger than a pocket P&S. The G9 does not fit in every pocket.

Check out the G9 forum here.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
Great IQ for p&s. Integrated IS. RAW RAW RAW!!!!

The G9 is a great camera, but if you have none I really recommend you a 2nd hand DSLR despite the added size and price. At first you'll love the camera, but later you'll miss the option to install lenses, you'll note low low-light IQ and too much noise at high ISO.

But sure it all depends on what you are going to do with it. Maybe an A720IS is enough, maybe a D300 is not... Buy a 5D :D Hey, it's your call.

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Worth every penny if you need something that is like a point & shoot but smaller than a Digital SLR.

Mr. IC3D has one hell of a camera setup with a few lenses but that's for the pros ;P

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
G9 is one of the best P&S cameras, but as others have noted, there are some caveats:
  • For about a hundred or two more, you can get a DSLR kit.
  • For wide angle photography, you will need to purchase expensive wide angle converter.
  • Slow max aperture at telephoto.
  • Extremely high noise at or above ISO 800.
  • Large for P&S camera (definitely not compact).

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
G9 is one of the best P&S cameras, but as others have noted, there are some caveats:
  • For about a hundred or two more, you can get a DSLR kit.
  • For wide angle photography, you will need to purchase expensive wide angle converter.
  • Slow max aperture at telephoto.
  • Extremely high noise at or above ISO 800.
  • Large for P&S camera (definitely not compact).

I'm not a DSLR user. Used to shoot an SLR with Film in the day, but with kids I just can't chase that hobby. I also need a camera that will double-duty: pics and movies while on the go. Have been using the Canon SDs. Very nice for quick pics, but doesn't satisfy the arteest in me.

Have had the G9 only for a day, but I took it to the local symphony last night, and the ability to discreetly snap 6X zoom and control my own shutter speed was great. I think I'm going to like this camera. Also, for me, the local photo shop charges a 15% restock fee, so I made a bet -- I'll risk that restock fee, and give it a good shake-down over 2 weeks. I think my money was well risked, though. I don't see this one going back.

p.s. did I mention I can shoot raw from a camera in my pocket? Can definitely post-process the colors much better in RAW, though I don't quite have the noise reduction workflow down yet. Anyone know how to actually use Noise Ninja :) "But Mr. Fawlty, I learn! I learn!"

catfish743

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Kentucky
Thanks for all the info. I don't want to get into super serious photography just a point and shoot with the ability to maybe attach a micro lens or something like that (I think the G9 does that). That is why I was steering clear from a cybershot or a powershot. Do you think I should downgrade to something like the previous two cameras though? I really don't think I need all that power. I just want a good crisp picture and I'm also second guessing spending 400-500 for a camera just yet. Maybe 200-300 at most. Any suggestions? Or is the G9 Worth it?

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
Thanks for all the info. I don't want to get into super serious photography just a point and shoot with the ability to maybe attach a micro lens or something like that (I think the G9 does that). That is why I was steering clear from a cybershot or a powershot. Do you think I should downgrade to something like the previous two cameras though? I really don't think I need all that power. I just want a good crisp picture and I'm also second guessing spending 400-500 for a camera just yet. Maybe 200-300 at most. Any suggestions? Or is the G9 Worth it?

Let's be real. The G9 allows you to shoot in RAW and I believe it's the only p&s that allows you to do it (correct me if i'm wrong) which is a plus when editing pics. And you can shoot in bracketing mode, which allows you to take 3 pics at different exposure compensations usually used to compose hdr images; you can also use one of the images that went better. As for attaching adaptors, a lot of powershots can do it either they are telephoto or wide angle.
If I were you I wouldn't take any other brand for p&s as canon IQ is far superior compared to the competition.
Buy a decent canon with manual controls. I'd go with the A590is, A720is or the superior A650is(1/1.7 sensor as the G9). (use always AA Hybrid rechargeable batteries) Check the prices, features and then decide. Later, if you're really into photography buy a new or used DSLR kit.

catfish743

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Kentucky
L I'd go with the A590is, A720is or the superior A650is(1/1.7 sensor as the G9). (use always AA Hybrid rechargeable batteries) Check the prices, features and then decide.

I really think those three are too bulky for my use. I'm looking for something smaller.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
You were leaned to buy the brick-sized G9 and now you say those are big?

Well, if you go for pocket cams like the IXUS and others you'll pay extra $, lose manual controls, and lose IQ The most important features on a camera... Bad move, sorry. I can't encourage you to buy an ultra compact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.