Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleuser21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Hello guys,

I'm considering buying an Apple TV for casual gaming. I know it has some great -casual- games, but do you think it's a good "gaming console"?

I don't care about AAA titles like Call of Duty. I just want a few minutes of fun...

One more thing... Does it download all my photos/videos from iCloud on the latest version?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
1. You can access your Photos/Videos from iCloud but they are not downloaded and stored locally where you have limited storage.

2. I got some games for my grandkids and they seem find but the MAJOR problem is the games are cheap but you are constantly pushed to buy in app items. To the point that some games are not worth playing. I have in app purchase turned off and require a pin to get them but that is a major problem for me. My son decided to get the Nintendo Switch for his house which he feels is better for the kids. They are 6 and 4. He also has Apple TV and XBOX One for gaming.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
the MAJOR problem is the games are cheap but you are constantly pushed to buy in app items.

True, but that pretty much sums up the current business model for casual/iOS/mobile gaming in general - definitely not a problem specific to the Apple TV. ;)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
True, but that pretty much sums up the current business model for casual/iOS/mobile gaming in general - definitely not a problem specific to the Apple TV. ;)
Agreed. But my experience is mostly with the Apple TV. Just you could pay more to just get the game without the in app purchases. Really hard to navigate past all of it. But I am not at all a gamer but I can see the frustration with my grandkids. To be fair there are some games that do not have this problem but in my experience not a lot.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since pretty near 100% of my rather limited gaming is done on a PS4, but I think it's probably much easier just to use an iPad or an iPhone for these sort of casual games. The only reason to buy an Apple TV is for the video streaming. Gaming is just a bit of icing on top, if you care about it.
Which is why I really think Apple needs to ditch the large amount of storage on the Apple TV and drop the prices significantly. The thing shouldn't cost more than $99.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since pretty near 100% of my rather limited gaming is done on a PS4, but I think it's probably much easier just to use an iPad or an iPhone for these sort of casual games. The only reason to buy an Apple TV is for the video streaming. Gaming is just a bit of icing on top, if you care about it.
Which is why I really think Apple needs to ditch the large amount of storage on the Apple TV and drop the prices significantly. The thing shouldn't cost more than $99.
I disagree. I simply think they should offer multiple memory options like they do with the iPad (and iPhone). And maybe even a pro version for those that want a faster processor for better gaming. Like a 16gb version for $99 (or less) for those not needing it for gaming. Also, how about an option to download movies to the device for those that have a internet issue or if they have kids that watch the same movie over and over and over. Like Frozen and Moana in my case.

I think the problem is not that the Apple TV can't be a great gaming platform, it is that Apple or the Developers have fell into this trap that the games have to cost < $5 with "scam type" in app purchases. I believe that you do not have this problem on other platforms where the cost of the games are $30 - $50. I would much prefer Apple identify these type of tactics so that they can be ignored in your search for games. Like I said my son would like to use Apple TV for casual gaming but this problem has caused him to switch to other platforms. Maybe for other reasons as well but this in app purchase scam is a serious problem.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I'm somewhat on the fence in terms of the casual gaming. I like it, but it seems like the potential isn't fully being explored. I even bought a Nimbus Wireless controller to use with the apple tv.

I occasionally use it for games & enjoy it whenever I do. I just there more "types" of games available.

There's a nice selection of racing games, & a few quality titles, but overall I'd like to see more variety. I understand the angle is casual gaming, but I'm looking for more than just endless runner games.

Games like DC's Injustice (or pretty much any qaulity fighting game), or some of the more popular, expansive IOS games. Or even some solid IP based games.

Would be great to see properties like Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Transformers, Mario (I know Nintendo is just entering mobile), etc. ( I do currently have Sonic titles, which I play)

If anyone has any suggestions on some games, I'm all ears, lol. :) I want to use that controller more!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.