Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gullaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Have any of you tried it, if so what are your experiences with it? and how do you think it would do in a tall ceiling nightclub.

JNB

macrumors 604
I have one, and it's best suited for more intimate situations, like portraiture. A Sto-Fen may be better in that area, but do you really need a diffuser? A good modern flash is a truly amazing thing on its own. My 430EX rarely needs diffusion, particularly is there's distant bouncing involved.

Oh, and it's stupidly expensive for a piece of Tupperware. Check out the eBay stores for less expensive unbranded versions.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I have one, and it's best suited for more intimate situations, like portraiture. A Sto-Fen may be better in that area, but do you really need a diffuser? A good modern flash is a truly amazing thing on its own. My 430EX rarely needs diffusion, particularly is there's distant bouncing involved.

Oh, and it's stupidly expensive for a piece of Tupperware. Check out the eBay stores for less expensive unbranded versions.

I was going to say, in a club situation I'd want to shoot as much light as I can at the ceiling. No diffusing/fonging (tupperware ;)) needed.

gullaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
So i bought the gary fong at Henry's last night when i bought my flash, the guy gave me the gary fong for 35$, the clouded one, he guaranteed me it would be much more suitable then a omni bounce diffuser, the flash i bought is the 430EXII, and the sales rep told me if it does not work he will gladly exchange/refund it, so i guess i will try it out Saturday night, all i have to loose is looking like and idiot with ppl thinking i have a soup bowl on my flash lmao

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Yes, Expensive. An interesting experiment is to buy milk in the white plastic jug and then use the empty jug as a flash defuser. Just cut the top down until the flash can fit inside then point the flash straight up. Later get the expensive device and see if you can tell the difference in the end result. Cut the front out of the jug and you have a stofen style defuser. The light cares very little about how much you paid for the plastic.

If you are trying to impress a client who is paying you, he is going to me more impressed if you have the expensive gear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.