Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
TLDR: Geekbench should run better when nothing else is running, however, when I had the CPU blasting, I saw much better results.

Okay, so I'd like some clarity regarding Geekbench 5.

I had Better Touch Tool running, and for some reason, it was requiring a lot of CPU. Looking at Intel Power Gadget I was running an average frequency of around 4 GHz, without dipping. Running Geekbench in this state would somehow give me a really high score for the OpenCL benchmark (29715).

When I turned off Better Touch Tool, the GPU stabilized and I ran the test again, resulting in a much lower benchmark of (25548)

So, what's the deal here, anyone knows?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Suggest you run the benchmark, wait one minute, then run again. Wait 3-5 minutes, then run again, Wait 5-10 minutes, then run again. Then immediately run again. Repeat on cycles and you'll get more true to life performance results.

Personally REALLY do not like GB5 and wish there were better benchmarks for METAL that could be used on a variety of machines.

novo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Yeah,
I don’t really understand how other machines get in the 30-32k OpenGL region with the same machine as people who get around 24-25k Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me how it can be that way.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The deal is that Geekbench is an unreliable benchmark and it’s use should be avoided. It’s not clear what exactly it measures and the results show ridiculously high variance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.