Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5-PowerLifter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Hello there

I've got a Geforce 6800 GT AGP for my G5. Everything runs well so far. But when I try and play the game "Cube III Sauerbraten" at high setting (even though this card should handle a game like that without any issues) it crashes very quickly. I also got an error message when I was trying to use the Cinebench 11.5 Graphic Benchmark. I've done several hardware tests (Apple Hardware Test, Apple System Diagnostics) and according to that,everything seems to be fine. I really don't know what's going on. I don't really wanna put that Radeon 9600 64MB backin my machine cause it kinda sucks..

Does have anyone more experience with that? Maybe it's not necessarily a PowerPC specific issue.

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Hi @G5-PowerLifter, I can't say about your graphic card as I don't have it and I don't have a G5 Mac. I do have a PowerMac G4 MDD with Ati Radeon 9000pro and The Cube Sauerbraten used to be too "crashy" on my Mac, even at low settings. So I think it is an issue with the game, and not with your graphic card. I suggest you to try Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, a free online FPS still available for PowerPC Macs. I use to play it sometimes and it runs good on my Mac at medium settings.

G5-PowerLifter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Hi thanks for your reply. Well I've just put the 9600 back in the machine for a short test. I've also realised that the system fans in my g5 tend to spin up sometimes shortly when I'm loading a normal webpage. I don't know if it could be because the graphic chip itself runs generally quite hot. However it doesn't happen on my Radeon at all. I'm considering getting a x800 xt instead. But it's almost impossible to find those for a reasonable price on eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.