Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xaranar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Hi everyone

So I've just gone and got myself a G5 quad core 2.5GHz, mostly for nostalgic reasons but that's by the by. Anyway, after doing some digging around the internet, it seems that the very best GPU that this machine can support officially is the NVidia Quadro FX 4500. However, after more research I have seen that people have had success in flashing a GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB with a custom ROM, usually a modified Quadro or 7800GT ROM, and have it working on a Power Mac G5. My question is, does anyone know where I can obtain this ROM? The threads turning up in my searches are very old, and even though there are links to supposedly working ROMs on them, the response seems to have been mixed at best. On top of that, the one particular guy seemed to be the authority on this particular subject, Japamac, has not been seen in years.

Any help or possible leads you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Xaranar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks, DZ, but I have already tried that site, and unfortunately it doesn't contain a ROM for my card.

Xaranar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for that, Harry. I have to say, when I checked out strange dogs, it did look promising, but sadly it proved fruitless. I did actually take the time to try out both ROMs available on this very forum from the old thread I mentioned initially, and interestingly, both of them work. One of them actually gives a significantly higher benchmark score than the other, so I can't help but wonder if there are others out there that perform even better. Another frustrating thing is that there is no way on a PPC to view the core and memory clocks of your GPU, so I cannot see if they are even performing at the speed they should be performing at.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for that, Harry. I have to say, when I checked out strange dogs, it did look promising, but sadly it proved fruitless. I did actually take the time to try out both ROMs available on this very forum from the old thread I mentioned initially, and interestingly, both of them work. One of them actually gives a significantly higher benchmark score than the other, so I can't help but wonder if there are others out there that perform even better. Another frustrating thing is that there is no way on a PPC to view the core and memory clocks of your GPU, so I cannot see if they are even performing at the speed they should be performing at.
You might try this…
https://archive.org/web/
…and see if any of your dead links got archived.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2015
Hi everyone

So I've just gone and got myself a G5 quad core 2.5GHz, mostly for nostalgic reasons but that's by the by. Anyway, after doing some digging around the internet, it seems that the very best GPU that this machine can support officially is the NVidia Quadro FX 4500. However, after more research I have seen that people have had success in flashing a GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB with a custom ROM, usually a modified Quadro or 7800GT ROM, and have it working on a Power Mac G5. My question is, does anyone know where I can obtain this ROM? The threads turning up in my searches are very old, and even though there are links to supposedly working ROMs on them, the response seems to have been mixed at best. On top of that, the one particular guy seemed to be the authority on this particular subject, Japamac, has not been seen in years.

Any help or possible leads you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Xaranar, I have just finished the rom flashing and it worked! The file in the link is: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/7800-gtx-rom.1552556/, and the file from #14 is the correct one. Let me know if you have any questions with this. Maybe we can work together to get your card flashed correctly.

Reactions: barracuda156

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Xaranar, I have just finished the rom flashing and it worked! The file in the link is: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/7800-gtx-rom.1552556/, and the file from #14 is the correct one. Let me know if you have any questions with this. Maybe we can work together to get your card flashed correctly.

Did you get 512 MB recognized? Here another member writes that only 256 MB worked: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ermac-g5.2160139/?post=26905317#post-26905317

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.