Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I've got a couple of questions relating to the sharing of my iPhone's 4G connection via Personal Hotspot.

I'm often at a location where my phone is only able to keep a solid 4G connection in a certain, small area of the building. I therefore keep my iPhone there while connecting my iPad via Hotspot. This works great and I have no issues. However, is there a way to keep my iPad connected even after pressing the Sleep/Wake button and a period of inactivity? I'm always having to go into settings and reconnect once I wake my device. Ideally I'd like the connection to stay active to ensure emails, iMessage etc are received on the iPad at all times.

Apple TV streaming via Hotspot. I've tried this and it works exactly how I'd want it to. Such a good feature! My question relates to data usage. If I stream a 2GB movie on my iPhone and AirPlay to the Apple TV, will I use the 2GBs of data only, or does that double to 4GB, 2GB to stream to my iPhone and another 2GB to send it via AirPlay to my Apple TV? Hopefully I've explained that clearly enough. I'm hoping the Apple TV is only using the Hotspot as a method of speaking to my device, but I'm unsure how AirPlay works?

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Your phone pulls data in via cellular. The Apple TV communicates with your phone via adhoc wifi networking. You'll be charged the 2gb.

Reactions: c14nhl

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
My first post on the forum and sorry for my english is not my native language

I had the same problem with you until i bought Apple TV4 last year. If you connect the apple tv4 via wifi to the hotspot device (iPhone in my case) and dont allow the apple tv to go to sleep, then you should have instant reconnection with all devices you paired to the hotspot device without need to connect them again through the settings.

Atleast in my setup it works nicely because i keep the apple tv allways on so its allways connected to the personal hotspot device. By this way I also get imessages instantly to my ipad air2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.