Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Del Rei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil
Hey, guys.

I'm downloading Catalina, but want to create a new boot for Mojave as well (if I need to downgrade for any reason).
I'm looking for the Mojave updates and there is a lot of options.

So, I have 2 questions:

1) If I download the actual Mojave OS from Apple's website will I need to download the updates as well, or the actually OS file already contains the latest updates?

2) In case I need to install the updates after main Mojave installation... If I download and install the 10.14.6 Combo will I need to install the previous updates as well (10.14.5 + 10.14.4 + 10.14.3...) one by one? Or just the latest one is complete enough...?

Sorry if it's stupid...

Thank you.

Del Rei

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
Brazil
I just upgraded to Mojave last week and I'm on 10.14.6, I did not have to install any additional updates.
But did you download the file from the Apple and created the boot disc? Or just updated from System Preferences?

richard2

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
England, United Kingdom
The official method of obtaining the macOS Mojave installer is to download it from the App Store. As the installer is updated whenever a new version of macOS Mojave is released, the current version of the installer will install macOS 10.14.6.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
TWO TIPS for upgrading:

First way:
Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are free to download and use for 30 days) to create a BOOTABLE CLONED BACKUP of your internal drive BEFORE you attempt a major OS upgrade.

IF something goes wrong with the upgrade, or you just don't like it, having that cloned backup makes "getting back to where you once belonged" EASY:
1. boot from cloned backup
2. ERASE the internal drive
3 RE-clone the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.
... and you'll be "right back where you started from" in short order.

Second way (call it "Fishrrman's way"):
Get a small external USB3 SSD (you can buy a 120gb SSD for under $20 now).
Put it into a USB3 2.5" enclosure (about $10) -- or use a USB3/SATA dongle/adapter
Now... install the new OS onto the EXTERNAL SSD.
If you do it this way, you can experiment with it, move things over to try them, etc. -- all while leaving your internal drive (with the older working OS) alone.

The latter has worked for me through many OS upgrades.
Call it "try before you buy" (even though the upgrade is free).

Reactions: staggerlee41

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
TWO TIPS for upgrading:

First way:
Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are free to download and use for 30 days) to create a BOOTABLE CLONED BACKUP of your internal drive BEFORE you attempt a major OS upgrade.

IF something goes wrong with the upgrade, or you just don't like it, having that cloned backup makes "getting back to where you once belonged" EASY:
1. boot from cloned backup
2. ERASE the internal drive
3 RE-clone the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.
... and you'll be "right back where you started from" in short order.

Second way (call it "Fishrrman's way"):
Get a small external USB3 SSD (you can buy a 120gb SSD for under $20 now).
Put it into a USB3 2.5" enclosure (about $10) -- or use a USB3/SATA dongle/adapter
Now... install the new OS onto the EXTERNAL SSD.
If you do it this way, you can experiment with it, move things over to try them, etc. -- all while leaving your internal drive (with the older working OS) alone.

The latter has worked for me through many OS upgrades.
Call it "try before you buy" (even though the upgrade is free).

I used a combination of your methods. I purchased a new SSD, cloned the existing SSD with SuperDuper! using a USB3/SATA cable, swapped out SSD's then upgraded the new one. It couldn't get any easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.