Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1983Micky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Close
I just registered at this place and expected to use the new automatic password generator from Siri.
But when I was asked for a password, nothing showed up. I tried several times before I just made something up myself.

Am I doing something wrong?
[doublepost=1537402755][/doublepost]I just logged off and tried to use the keychain to log in again.

When I press the ‘key button’ I get into the screen with all my passwords. But here is nothing that looks like this forum.

So I type in my username/email by myself.

Still no sign of any password.

No other option then to fill in the password by myself also.

What’s going on?????

Reactions: lolkthxbai

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
When you joined, once you placed your focus on the password field, you should have gotten an option to create a password.
Should have, but no such option appears. I too have been having this issue for quite some time now. Since the Beta 4/5. I’m now on iOS 12.0, the same one released to the public and it still isn’t working for me. I did remove the profile from my phone and check my build number. it’s all the same, still doesn’t suggest a new password

JoelyMagoley

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
I had the same problem tonight. I looked everywhere for the option to generate a password and could only find the option to scroll through my existing passwords for other sites.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Odd.

I went through the steps of creating an account here. What I got was a password generated automatically if I tapped the first password box, along with a message about "we generated one for you, you can generate a different one if you wish".

On a second attempt, got the key symbol and tapping that would generate a password.

And even though I did not create an account, info was saved in Keychain.

Using a password manager? That MAYBE might be causing conflicts.

1983Micky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Close
I am not using any third party password manager.

Safari also didn’t remember my log in details. Each time I had to press the key and Saw no ‘https://forums.macrumors.com/’ in the list of passwords.

So I added it myself with the ‘+’ button.

Now I can log in automatically.

But I tried to make another account with a different username and email.... no luck. Same procedure like yesterday.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Do you have AutoFill Passwords enabled?

Settings > Passwords & Accounts

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
In another thread someone said signing out of iCloud and signing back in fixed it for them.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-strong-password-suggestion-works.2133455/

Unfortunately that also didn’t help.

I did so as well and it didn’t work either. I want to try something but i’m not sure it will work. I want to try to turn off icloud keychain, keep a copy of my passwords on the device, turn it back on and during that process reset the keychain but choosing I forgot the security code.

UPDATE:
Boom. It worked. Here’s what I did.

1. Turn off iCloud Keychain.
2. Sign out of iCloud. When prompted, choose to keep a copy of your Keychain.
3. Verify your passwords are still on the device.
4. Sign back into iCloud.
5. Turn on iCloud Keychain. Wait to be prompted for your iPhone Passcode.
6. Check if Safari will now offer to generate a strong password.

Attachments

• 6B2046C3-1DFC-41F9-A4D5-7A49B100B54B.png
    6B2046C3-1DFC-41F9-A4D5-7A49B100B54B.png
    377.4 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Reactions: NJHitmen

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I did so as well and it didn’t work either. I want to try something but i’m not sure it will work. I want to try to turn off icloud keychain, keep a copy of my passwords on the device, turn it back on and during that process reset the keychain but choosing I forgot the security code.

UPDATE:
Boom. It worked. Here’s what I did.

1. Turn off iCloud Keychain.
2. Sign out of iCloud. When prompted, choose to keep a copy of your Keychain.
3. Verify your passwords are still on the device.
4. Sign back into iCloud.
5. Turn on iCloud Keychain. Wait to be prompted for your iPhone Passcode.
6. Check if Safari will now offer to generate a strong password.

This works!!!!! Been trying to get suggested PW to work since i received my Max in October.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.