Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
Are you OK with the high amounts of environmental damage caused by ChatGPT and other generative AI? Especially now that it's included in one of the most popular phones on the planet? That's going to add millions of pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere

Doesn't this undo almost all of the environmental progress Apple has made?

To me, it makes me question why they even made all that effort and removed features customers liked such as included chargers if they were going to throw it all away on extremely wasteful tech

Flowstates

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2023
[1] There is no definite answer, energy consumption is not intrinsically bad ... but we should try and be mindful of our use of the technology. I run my LLMs at home on 100% green energy so I'm an outlier. That being said Apple had no choice when implementing the technology, and the OAI partnership was strategically inevitable. Everything will depend on the location for the new datacenters, see Microsoft's strategy. But in general the push towards smaller but more performant models is interesting.

[2] Hard to argue against the physical reality of increased energy expenditure for marginal useability gains, again the strategic gains from the program outweigh the damage to the ESG initiative. And one could make the argument that keeping a dominant market share will reduce the global market footprint by reducing the production of less ethical agents.

[3] There is no causal relation between the two initiatives. One can strive towards reduced footprint, but they still are a publicly traded company. Self-policing will never supplant regulation.

PS: There seems to be an overwhelming sense of negativity towards the tech, from your bio you seem to be in the creative arts ... The increased market pressure and price dumping felt from your hobby/occupation seem to prime you for this kind of reaction. And I won't refute the fact that the foundation of this technology is based on the biggest IP theft of human history.

Still, when you look at advanced science within those fields, there are very real and interesting applications ... don't let the consumer facing industry's push towards cramming an OAI socket into all your applications to up-sell a subscription or implement more surveillance detract from that. The tech will crash and mature, we are currently reaching peak bubble.

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
That's going to add millions of pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere

Take the $9/month you were willing to pay for a music streaming service and buy some carbon credits, problem solved.

Are you OK with

What "you" are ok with doesn't matter and never has, this is the new race and combined with the EV push probably assures that a return to nuclear power is in our future. We need to start building new plants asap.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
That's going to add millions of pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere
Apple seems committed to renewable sources of energy (solar, wind, etc). I would expect Apple will operate their data centres with the same focus. Is there some reason to doubt Apple's commitment?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Are you OK with the high amounts of environmental damage caused by ChatGPT and other generative AI? Especially now that it's included in one of the most popular phones on the planet? That's going to add millions of pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere

Doesn't this undo almost all of the environmental progress Apple has made?

To me, it makes me question why they even made all that effort and removed features customers liked such as included chargers if they were going to throw it all away on extremely wasteful tech
Yes.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
Take the $9/month you were willing to pay for a music streaming service and buy some carbon credits, problem solved.

What "you" are ok with doesn't matter and never has, this is the new race and combined with the EV push probably assures that a return to nuclear power is in our future. We need to start building new plants asap.

I don’t think carbon credits are going to solve our climate crisis. Especially not if we’re adding a new source of energy use that is the equivalent of a small country

Reactions: ItWasNotMe

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
I don’t think carbon credits are going to solve our climate crisis. Especially not if we’re adding a new source of energy use that is the equivalent of a small country
One solar eclipse blocks more energy from reaching the earth that all the energy generated on earth by orders of magnitude. The amount of energy consumed by AI is not even a PPM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.