Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlLikesTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
I just came back from the genius bar after experiencing massive issues after updating to macos Ventura. I've experienced issues such as:
  • System crashes when transferring files to external hard drives.
  • Unable to dismount external hard drives with the result of hard drive failure.
  • Continuously receiving notifications of: your computer did not shut down properly, this happens even when I initiate a restart myself.
  • Siri speaks Swedish with some kind of Middle Eastern accent and is unable to articulate numbers in Swedish, instead Siri articulates the numbers in the Middle Eastern language it’s speaking.
  • Some software isn't working properly.
The technician at the genius bar claimed that there were widespread and massive issues with macos Ventura, that they were receiving large amounts of Mac users with similar issues.

There seems to be a problem with how the system processes files. For some users, the computer will crash even when creating a new folder or just by opening Finder. As he describes it, the computer thinks the user is inputting astronomical amounts of data into the machine at the same time. The fix he recommended was down grading to macos Monterey or wait for a fix. He himself had downgraded to Monterey for this reason and even the Mac:s in the apple store had the same problems I describe in this text.

What is the word on this issue. It seems like a lot of work downgrading and installing all the software again, and downloading my backups from icloud (I cannot use time machine anymore since my machine rendered my external hard drive useless).

I use a 2 months old 14-inch MBP.

Reactions: Pskordilis

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
no such issues here (on either my M2 or intel mac). and no 'widespread reports' on this forum like that.

not sure what the 'genius' was referencing, but my guess is it's a copout to have actually helped you. meanwhile, this forum is full of ventura users (of course), and we're mostly getting our work done, and using our macs (not to say there aren't bugs and issues).

i would call apple, or see a better 'genius', and get actual support...

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I had one issue the day after updating where my 16" Intel MBP locked up and kept the CPU maxed while in sleep. Had to hard power it off, but it's been fine ever since.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
That Genius is FOS! I've been running Ventura Betas since Beta 3 - I.m now on Beta 3 of OS13.1. There are a couple issues, but nothing crippling and nothing remotely related to any of the issues described in the first post. This site is the premier site concerning all things Macintosh - Nothing like that posted here.

Lou

Reactions: fisherking

CarlLikesTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
That Genius is FOS! I've been running Ventura Betas since Beta 3 - I.m now on Beta 3 of OS13.1. There are a couple issues, but nothing crippling and nothing remotely related to any of the issues described in the first post. This site is the premier site concerning all things Macintosh - Nothing like that posted here.

Lou
Yeah, I thought so. It just pisses me off since I had to make up a two hour trip to the Mac store (I was there about 15 mins though).

I mention to the Genius that I had spoken with Apple support, and they have never heard of any of the issues I described. In fact, they were really puzzled.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
As a guess... what you're describing sounds like a device driver problem. I haven't tinkered much with Mac device drivers for a long time, but it sounds as though you might have a third party hard disk driver or RAID driver installed, and it's not working properly. For example, when you try to restart or shut down, if a device driver fails to unload, the shut down will fail.

I'm afraid I don't know how to inspect a Mac for third party drivers.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Two M1 computers running Ventura. No problems at all, even with multiple external drives.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
As a guess... what you're describing sounds like a device driver problem.

Possibly this. I've had three GPUs in my NcMP. The stock 580RX a Gigabyte RX5700XT and now a Gigabyte RX6800XT. When I ran the 5700 I had Kernal Panics at least a couple times a day. I was never able to figure out the issue. Since I installed the 6800 it has never crashed.

Lou

Reactions: CarlLikesTech

k27

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2018
Europe
The fix he recommended was down grading to macos Monterey or wait for a fix. He himself had downgraded to Monterey for this reason and even the Mac:s in the apple store had the same problems I describe in this text.
That's just ridiculous. So you should downgrade to an OS that is no longer seriously maintained by Apple?

"not all known security issues are addressed in previous versions (for example, macOS 12)."

Last Week on My Mac: Home truths about macOS

Does Apple maintain APFS in older macOS?

Apple hides such a statement in a document that nobody knows. There is no official and extra document for the support of macOS, like e.g.

Every serious and free Linux distribution offers much better support than Apple.
This has nothing to do with anything professional.

Edit:
"Mark Josh Long’s words: “macOS Mojave is — and presumably always will be — vulnerable to the “FORCEDENTRY” bug that has been actively exploited by the Pegasus spyware.” What other actively exploited bugs are Big Sur and Monterey now vulnerable to? What bugs remain in their old versions of APFS, Time Machine, or anything else in the system that could result in data loss?

Making these decisions is always a gamble. Although I well understand you might feel more reassured by waiting a couple of weeks to ensure there are no showstoppers that might make upgrading unwise, delaying beyond the first update brings ever-increasing risk. That’s no longer a risk I’m prepared to take: I put my production Mac where my mouth is, and upgraded it to Ventura on the day of its release, followed rapidly by my other Macs."

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
I just came back from the genius bar after experiencing massive issues after updating to macos Ventura. I've experienced issues such as:
  • System crashes when transferring files to external hard drives.
  • Unable to dismount external hard drives with the result of hard drive failure.
  • Continuously receiving notifications of: your computer did not shut down properly, this happens even when I initiate a restart myself.
  • Siri speaks Swedish with some kind of Middle Eastern accent and is unable to articulate numbers in Swedish, instead Siri articulates the numbers in the Middle Eastern language it’s speaking.
  • Some software isn't working properly.
The technician at the genius bar claimed that there were widespread and massive issues with macos Ventura, that they were receiving large amounts of Mac users with similar issues.

There seems to be a problem with how the system processes files. For some users, the computer will crash even when creating a new folder or just by opening Finder. As he describes it, the computer thinks the user is inputting astronomical amounts of data into the machine at the same time. The fix he recommended was down grading to macos Monterey or wait for a fix. He himself had downgraded to Monterey for this reason and even the Mac:s in the apple store had the same problems I describe in this text.

What is the word on this issue. It seems like a lot of work downgrading and installing all the software again, and downloading my backups from icloud (I cannot use time machine anymore since my machine rendered my external hard drive useless).

I use a 2 months old 14-inch MBP.
I'm not surprised by this after my recent experience. Upgraded an M1 14-in MacBook Pro to Ventura (13.0.1). Safari is now completely unusable. It balloons to 99GB of RAM usage immediately after opening the app without doing anything (CPU usage also skyrockets). Safari/Ventura work fine on my older i7 MacBook Pro (2017 model). Short of re-installing the OS which I haven't tried, none of the recommended troubleshooting (clear safari developer cache, delete safari folder in library folder) has helped. Luckily Chrome and Firefox are fine but disappointing for an Apple OS running on the latest Apple hardware. I thought Ventura would be optimized for Apple Silicon. Didn't expect my intel Mac to perform better lol

missmoon

Suspended
Apr 26, 2008
san francisco
Nothing for me either. Ventura runs better than Monterey by a wide margin on my Studio and 2019 MBP.
I haven't seen many posts that seem to deal with (highest end) Mac Studio (which came with Ventura, so no ability to go back an OS) and Adobe Creative Suite apps. TONS of issues with PSD, AI, INDD, etc. - all of the basic apps needed if you're a graphic designer. Saving, exporting, saving, saving, saving...SUPER slow, sometimes up to a minute. Losing connection to Synology is likely part of the problem, but all settings are correct, so no idea why that is happening. I have spent the last 2+ months dealing with having to restart my MacStudio 5 times a day just to get it to finish a single task. Spending my days trying out every suggestion I can find, as is my IT person.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I spent a small fortune on a high-end Mac Studio recently (running 13.3.1) and have had no end of problems with Ventura vs. Adobe Creative Suite. The kicker? The MacStudio came with Ventura installed so I can’t revert back to a previous OS…It's really taking a toll on my design business. And me.
call apple. and/or contact adobe. you should not be having problems...

Reactions: GlenK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.