Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allantodd8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Folx is a versatile download manager and torrent client for Mac OS X. There is a free version of Folx and PRO version. Free Folx offers such great options as splitting downloads in two threads, resuming interrupted downloads automatically. It features basic torrent client characteristics and supports Apple Retina displays. Also, this version has smart tagging system, Quick Look integration, a special plugin for catching downloads in popular Mac OS X browsers, download and upload speed control, file managing system and more.
folxscreenshot.jpg

Folx PRO offers more:

* Split the downloads in up to ten threads;

* Schedule your downloads for a convenient time;

* Smart speed adjustment;

* YouTube videos downloading;

* Folx PRO can be integrated with iTunes.

System Requirements:
  • OS X 10.7 or later

Folx PRO can be purchased for a reasonable fee of $19.95 (USD). This coupon code MRMRS-DSC gives you a 20% discount on Folx PRO 4.2.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!:)

muctau191

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
There are pros, but the following cons should be solved.
  • Ugly user interface for a beautiful Mac screen.
  • Does not support PREMIUM ACCOUNTS such as Rapidgator
  • No life-time update

allantodd8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
There are pros, but the following cons should be solved.
  • Ugly user interface for a beautiful Mac screen.
  • Does not support PREMIUM ACCOUNTS such as Rapidgator
  • No life-time update

Thanks for the comment. We'll update our interface in the nearest time. And there is a lifetime upgrades guarantee when you buy PRO version.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Been messing around with this the last few days to give it a shot. The interface is meh for a Mac app. Maybe if you had the option to change the back ground color some color other than the tan default it would help. The simplistic interface is alright and the ability to search for torrents right in the app is nice.

I really, really, really hate the fact that when I choose which parts of a torrent I want to download and deselect the parts I don't want. It will still download everything. Why give the option of unselecting the parts you don't want if it is going to download it all anyway.

Due to the selection not working and the interface looking terrible I am switching back to BitTorrent. Good start, but just doesn't seem all there.

Reactions: muctau191

allantodd8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Been messing around with this the last few days to give it a shot. The interface is meh for a Mac app. Maybe if you had the option to change the back ground color some color other than the tan default it would help. The simplistic interface is alright and the ability to search for torrents right in the app is nice.

I really, really, really hate the fact that when I choose which parts of a torrent I want to download and deselect the parts I don't want. It will still download everything. Why give the option of unselecting the parts you don't want if it is going to download it all anyway.

Due to the selection not working and the interface looking terrible I am switching back to BitTorrent. Good start, but just doesn't seem all there.

Regarding the UI of Folx, I would like to inform you that we are going to release the new build of Folx approximately in a couple of weeks where the UI will be significantly improved.

With regards to the question on downloading the selected files, I’d like to inform you the issue is caused by peculiarities of torrent downloads, as if the torrent contains multiple files, then during the hashing process they are read in the order they appear in the files dictionary and are treated as a continuous data stream. Thus, a piece containing the end of one file also contains the beginning of the next. On the other hand, to verify the consistency of the downloaded piece, it should be downloaded in full. For this reason, despite the ability of most torrent clients to download only selected files, in most cases the first and last pieces of unselected files will also be downloaded.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Regarding the UI of Folx, I would like to inform you that we are going to release the new build of Folx approximately in a couple of weeks where the UI will be significantly improved.

With regards to the question on downloading the selected files, I’d like to inform you the issue is caused by peculiarities of torrent downloads, as if the torrent contains multiple files, then during the hashing process they are read in the order they appear in the files dictionary and are treated as a continuous data stream. Thus, a piece containing the end of one file also contains the beginning of the next. On the other hand, to verify the consistency of the downloaded piece, it should be downloaded in full. For this reason, despite the ability of most torrent clients to download only selected files, in most cases the first and last pieces of unselected files will also be downloaded.

BitTorrent somehow manages to only download the files I select. I shall stick to that one. I will redownload Folx when the new UI comes out to see how it has progressed. I will most likely uninstall it afterwards though. If you give me the options of unselecting the files I don't want, but then download them anyway I don't see the point in keeping it. It is like a contestant on a game showing getting to pick a prize behind door number 1, 2, or 3. Only unbeknownst to that contestant they only get the prize behind door number 1 regardless of their pick. If you aren't giving the downloader the ability to only download what they want, it would probably be best to get rid of that feature if you can't figure out how to code it in.

I've yet to have an issue with any download I have downloaded only what I want. It doesn't seem to be a consistency issue at all.

allantodd8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
BitTorrent somehow manages to only download the files I select. I shall stick to that one. I will redownload Folx when the new UI comes out to see how it has progressed. I will most likely uninstall it afterwards though. If you give me the options of unselecting the files I don't want, but then download them anyway I don't see the point in keeping it. It is like a contestant on a game showing getting to pick a prize behind door number 1, 2, or 3. Only unbeknownst to that contestant they only get the prize behind door number 1 regardless of their pick. If you aren't giving the downloader the ability to only download what they want, it would probably be best to get rid of that feature if you can't figure out how to code it in.

I've yet to have an issue with any download I have downloaded only what I want. It doesn't seem to be a consistency issue at all.

We will take into account your suggestions.

allantodd8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Hello!

We, at Eltima Software, are happy to announce the release of new major version of our well-known download manager & torrent client for Mac - Folx 5.0! Folx has been given a redesigned interface, revamped and improved functionality, plus we've added some exciting features like password manager (save login data for 2 first websites, PRO version is unlimited), smart speed feature, sorting and filtering torrent search results etc. Now you can even set Folx as a default torrent client for files and magnet links.

folxinterface.png

Most of the updates are concerning PRO version. Want to buy Folx 5 PRO? Use 20% discount code and get Folx PRO version for 15,96$.

Here is what Folx 5.0 offers:

Added:
- a redesigned interface.
- a password manager with the ability to remember login and password. Next time Folx is downloading from this website, you won’t need to enter login and password. Free version of Folx lets you save 2 entries.(PRO version)
- automatic saving and filling of passwords on websites you are downloading from (PRO version).
- the ability to set a speed limit for a specific download task (PRO version).
- sorting and filtering of torrent search results to narrow them and make finding torrents even easier. (PRO version)
- the ability to make Folx the default torrent client (for files and magnet links).
- new preferences for torrent files:

Improved:
- smart Speed now allows limiting the upload/download speed based on a schedule (PRO version).
- scheduler has been overhauled for better usability (PRO version).

This update is free for those Folx PRO users who bought it within a month before release or own lifetime upgrades. It is 50% OFF for all Folx PRO users. You can get your Folx PRO here.

Upgrade now and see all the benefits of the latest version for yourself.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.