Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Hi everyone,

On some of my photos, my camera included the date at the bottom. I don't want it there, and never did in the first place, and have now set my camera to leave out the date.

My question:

Is there any way I can get the date off the photos that already has it, in iPhoto? Or is my only option to crop the photo, and cut off the date?

Thanks in advance for any replies.:)

- dextertangocci

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
dextertangocci said:
Hi everyone,

On some of my photos, my camera included the date at the bottom. I don't want it there, and never did in the first place, and have now set my camera to leave out the date.

My question:

Is there any way I can get the date off the photos that already has it, in iPhoto? Or is my only option to crop the photo, and cut off the date?

Within iPhoto, I'd suspect that cropping is your only real option.

The other option would be to try to clone it out, but that would require some flavor of a more Photoshop-like application.

-hh

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I feel your pain, man. My uncle took a lot of great photos with his Sony p&s when I was visiting him in HK, and yet they're ruined because of the date printed on each of them. I thought about cropping them out, but sometimes I'd crop out an important part of the photo, or parts I want to keep.

Sucks, I know.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I sometimes find it funny how different people think certain things about technology.

Sometimes people will think things are impossible, like GPS or google earth.

Then sometimes people give technology so much esteem that they think even the most complex tasks should be automated.

Anyway, the only way you're getting rid of those dates is with a clone, patch, or blur tool. You could change their color too, maybe find something that blends in more, or is easier to blur away. But you'll probably need photoshop or something very much like it, perhaps gimp.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
I tried my luck with the red-eye remover tool (the dates are in red), and it just makes the part where the date is black:(

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
get the photoshop 30 day trial? you could also send the pictures to a nice MR member who's good at photoshop. i would reccomend people, but they may get mad at me for giving them extra work. look around in the photoshop creations thread, people in there may be able to help you.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Instead of blaming your cameras for the stamp, why not accept the fact that you didn't turn it off to begin with? I'm sure it's not that hard to do, and given that a digital camera shows you the picture immediately after taking it, you should have seen the date on the picture just seconds after the first one was taken.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
FrankieTDouglas said:
Instead of blaming your cameras for the stamp, why not accept the fact that you didn't turn it off to begin with? I'm sure it's not that hard to do, and given that a digital camera shows you the picture immediately after taking it, you should have seen the date on the picture just seconds after the first one was taken.
Why don't you be nice to the guy?:rolleyes:
He's not blaming his camera for anything, he's just saying what happened. Be nice to each other, people!:)

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
wmmk said:
Why don't you be nice to the guy?:rolleyes:
He's not blaming his camera for anything, he's just saying what happened. Be nice to each other, people!:)

Ah, I'm being nice. I just noticed that he said the shots were ruined by his powershot's date stamp, and not because he didn't turn it off to begin with. It's an honest mistake... but 500 honest mistakes? Just... turn it off?

Applespider

macrumors G4
FrankieTDouglas said:
and given that a digital camera shows you the picture immediately after taking it, you should have seen the date on the picture just seconds after the first one was taken.

My digital camera doesn't imprint the time/date but it does show the time/date on the display when I'm looking through the pictures so if it had been imprinting, I'd never had realised until I downloaded them.

I'd agree that either trying to get someone who is good with PS to blur them out slightly or even just put a block of the predominate background colour so they don't jump out quite so much

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
wmmk said:
get the photoshop 30 day trial? you could also send the pictures to a nice MR member who's good at photoshop. i would reccomend people, but they may get mad at me for giving them extra work. look around in the photoshop creations thread, people in there may be able to help you.

I have that CS2 package or what ever it's called 30 daqy trial. Thing is, I have no idea how to use it:rolleyes:

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Getting date off photo

I have found an awesome little photoshop like program called Pixel. It is not quite a final release but it is only $30 and has a lot of PS functionality. It can be googled or found on the Apple software photo page.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
One question -- which camera are you using? Software that came with my Canon powershots (i've had two) had a nice clone tool - I think it's called something like Arcsoft photostudio.

Dave

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Dave00 said:
One question -- which camera are you using? Software that came with my Canon powershots (i've had two) had a nice clone tool - I think it's called something like Arcsoft photostudio.

Dave

Sony Cybershot DSW 30

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.