Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbenna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I have an app that the user can either pick a video from device photos or take a video and then save it to the apps documents directory. I want to fill in some text fields with the creation date of the video. I can fill in current time and date when the video is taken but I want to get the creation info from the video's metadata when it is picked from the photos camera roll.

I have tried many methods with no success.
this is one method:
Code:
[INDENT][INDENT]    NSURL * movieURL = [info valueForKey:UIImagePickerControllerMediaURL] ;
   ALAssetsLibrary* assetslibrary = [[ALAssetsLibrary alloc] init];
    [assetslibrary assetForURL:movieURL
                   resultBlock:^(ALAsset*asset) {
                       NSDate *myDate = [asset valueForProperty:ALAssetPropertyDate];
                       NSLog(@"Date: %@", myDate);

} failureBlock:^(NSError *error) {
                       NSLog(@"Error");
                   }];[/INDENT][/INDENT]

this is another

[INDENT][INDENT]    CGImageSourceRef source = CGImageSourceCreateWithURL( (CFURLRef)movieURL, NULL);

NSDictionary* metadata = (NSDictionary   *)CFBridgingRelease(CGImageSourceCopyPropertiesAtIndex(source,0,NULL));
       NSLog(@"image data %@", metadata);[/INDENT][/INDENT]

this is another
//this is inside picker finished picking method

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][self metadata:movieURL];

-(void)metadata:(NSURL *)url

{

PHAsset *asset=[PHAsset fetchAssetsWithALAssetURLs:mad: options:nil].firstObject; if (asset) { // get photo info from this asset PHImageRequestOptions * imageRequestOptions = [[PHImageRequestOptions alloc] init]; imageRequestOptions.synchronous = YES; [[PHImageManager defaultManager] requestImageDataForAsset:asset options:imageRequestOptions resultHandler:^(NSData *imageData, NSString *dataUTI, UIImageOrientation orientation, NSDictionary *info) { [self metadataFromImageData:imageData];// as this imageData is in NSData format so we need a method to convert this NSData into NSDictionary to display metadata }]; } else { NSLog(@"no asset"); } } -(NSDictionary*)metadataFromImageData:(NSData*)imageData{ CGImageSourceRef imageSource = CGImageSourceCreateWithData((__bridge CFDataRef)(imageData), NULL); if (imageSource) { NSDictionary *options = @{(NSString *)kCGImageSourceShouldCache : [NSNumber numberWithBool:NO]}; CFDictionaryRef imageProperties = CGImageSourceCopyPropertiesAtIndex(imageSource, 0, (__bridge CFDictionaryRef)options); if (imageProperties) { NSDictionary *metadata = (__bridge NSDictionary *)imageProperties; CFRelease(imageProperties); CFRelease(imageSource); NSLog(@"Metadata of selected image%@",metadata);// It will display the metadata of image after converting NSData into NSDictionary return metadata; } CFRelease(imageSource); } NSLog(@"Can't read metadata"); return nil; }[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT] nothing seems to work My movieURL log is [INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]2016-10-13 09:58:51.045271 my little world app[2641:1388034] movieURL;file:///private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/22A178E5-74C4- 48EF-B487- 5E01321508AD/tmp/trim.04F0AC8A-2960-464D-8670-7E79662EAB9B.MOV I would really appreciate some help with this as I have spent hrs and hrs trying to figure this out and there seems to be nothing on the internet[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Last edited by a moderator:

gbenna

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I figured this out. Here is my code
Code:
    if (picker.sourceType ==UIImagePickerControllerSourceTypePhotoLibrary) {

NSURL * movieURL = [info valueForKey:UIImagePickerControllerMediaURL] ;

[self getMediaName:nil url:[info objectForKey:UIImagePickerControllerReferenceURL]];
     }

- (void)getMediaName:(UIImage*)originalImage url:(NSURL*)url {
     @try {
        ALAssetsLibraryAssetForURLResultBlock resultblock = ^(ALAsset *asset) {
            if (asset == nil) return;
            ALAssetRepresentation *assetRep = [asset defaultRepresentation]; 

//I get the asset location

CLLocation *location = [asset valueForProperty:ALAssetPropertyLocation];

//I break that into the component parts

CLGeocoder *ceo = [[CLGeocoder alloc]init];
           CLLocation *loc = [[CLLocation alloc]initWithLatitude:location.coordinate.latitude     longitude:location.coordinate.longitude]; //insert your coordinates

//then I reverse location to get a street address and Zip Code and make a string from those

[ceo reverseGeocodeLocation:loc 
                     completionHandler:^(NSArray *placemarks, NSError *error) {
                          CLPlacemark *placemark = [placemarks objectAtIndex:0];
                          if (placemark) {
                              NSLog(@"placemark %@",placemark);
                             NSString *strString =placemark.name;
                              NSString *midstring = [strString stringByAppendingString:mad:","];
                              if (placemark.postalCode == nil) {
                                  postalcodeString = @"00000";
                              }
                              else{
                                  postalcodeString = placemark.postalCode;
                              }

combineString = [midstring stringByAppendingString:postalcodeString];
                              NSLog(@"combineString:%@",combineString);

//Then I access the user's address book and look for the street address and zip codes of each person and put those together into a string.

CFErrorRef *error = NULL;
                             ABAddressBookRef addressBook = ABAddressBookCreateWithOptions(NULL, error);
                              //ABAddressBookRef addressBook = ABAddressBookCreate();
                              CFArrayRef allPeople = ABAddressBookCopyArrayOfAllPeople(addressBook);
                              CFIndex numberOfPeople = ABAddressBookGetPersonCount(addressBook);

for(int i = 0; i < numberOfPeople; i++) {
                                  NSLog(@"i;%d",i);

ABRecordRef person = CFArrayGetValueAtIndex( allPeople, i );

NSString *firstName = (__bridge NSString *)(ABRecordCopyValue(person,  kABPersonFirstNameProperty));

NSString *lastName = (__bridge NSString *)(ABRecordCopyValue(person,  kABPersonLastNameProperty));
                                  NSLog(@"Name:%@ %@", firstName, lastName);

ABMutableMultiValueRef address = (ABRecordCopyValue(person, kABPersonAddressProperty));

if(ABMultiValueGetCount(address) > 0) {
                                      CFDictionaryRef dict = ABMultiValueCopyValueAtIndex(address, 0);
                                      NSString *streetString = CFDictionaryGetValue(dict, kABPersonAddressStreetKey);
                                      NSString *zipString = CFDictionaryGetValue(dict, kABPersonAddressZIPKey);
                                      if (zipString == Nil) {
                                          zipString = @"00000";
                                      }
                                      NSString *interstring = [streetString stringByAppendingString:mad:","];
                                      NSString *allString = [interstring stringByAppendingString:zipString];
                                      NSLog(@"allstring;%@ %@",allString, combineString);

//Then I compare the location string to the address string. If there is a match I save the name of the person of that address and attach it to the address later to fill in a textview.

if ([combineString isEqualToString:allString]) {
                                         NSLog(@"its a match");
                                          NSLog(@"i:%d",i);
                                          firstNameString = firstName;

}

else {

}

NSLog(@"streetString:%@",streetString);
                                      NSLog(@"firstNameString:%@",firstNameString);
                                      NSLog(@"combineString:%@",combineString);
                                                                      }
                              }}
                          else {
                              NSLog(@"Could not locate");
                          }
                      }
                   ];

// Do what you need with the file name here
              };

ALAssetsLibraryAccessFailureBlock failureblock  = ^(NSError *error) {

};

ALAssetsLibrary *library = [ALAssetsLibrary new];
              [library assetForURL:url resultBlock:resultblock failureBlock:failureblock];
            }
            [USER=40907]@Catch[/USER] (NSException *exception) {

}
Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.