Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mildocjr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I noticed there are a lot of threads that ask "How do I get started programming for <Apple Platform>" but I didn't see anything as to how to get started with publishing. For clarification on this, I'm referring to the general steps required to start publishing your own Apps to the App Store.

I'm not looking for answers like "well, you should learn C, Obj-C, Swift, etc... then move on to CocoaPods..." There are enough posts to keep people reading for days about all of that.

I'm referring to things such as:
  • Is a business entity required and what would be a good resource to learn how.
  • Should I start the business before I write my first App Store submission, or write the App, test it, and then apply for a business when my App is ready to launch?
  • any thing else I may not be thinking of that would be a 'gotcha'.
There seems to be decades worth of information on how to write apps, but nothing about how to actually go about setting up the foundation for the overall business.

Any help would be appreciated and I apologize if this is the wrong forum, it just seems appropriate since future-developers come here to get started and this is kind of preliminary work necessary to get started.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
1. No business needed.
2. Apple has an app submission guide, follow it.
3. If you are going to charge for your app you will need to submit checking or other financial account information.
4. Apple needs either you SSN or Federal EIN to submit what you are paid to IRS.
5. Read and follow the App submission guide.
6. You must sign up and become developer or join a developer group. This costs money every year.
7. When ready xCode will walk you through the publishing process.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Reactions: mildocjr

mildocjr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
1. No business needed.
2. Apple has an app submission guide, follow it.
3. If you are going to charge for your app you will need to submit checking or other financial account information.
4. Apple needs either you SSN or Federal EIN to submit what you are paid to IRS.
5. Read and follow the App submission guide.
6. You must sign up and become developer or join a developer group. This costs money every year.
7. When ready xCode will walk you through the publishing process.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

You hit the nail on the head in 1 - 4. I really appreciate the clarity on this. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.