Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miles.Kelly97

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Tunbridge Wells
Hey guys,

Ever since the jump to Sierra on a few of our Macs (Mac Pro Late 2013 and iMacs Late 2013, 5K 2015) that sporadically they will while you are in the middle of working go black with the cursor still showing. I have found that if I use Remote Desktop and send a Wake command to the Machine it will force itself out of a sleep. This has worked about 75% of the time. Otherwise it is just power the Mac off and back on again.

Has anyone else been experience this and know a more permanent fix?

Thanks
Miles

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
Not much help I am afraid. I have the 5K late 2015 iMac. Not problems here.

But since it is multiple macs in your household, maybe a third-party software is at play??

Miles.Kelly97

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Tunbridge Wells
Not much help I am afraid. I have the 5K late 2015 iMac. Not problems here.

But since it is multiple macs in your household, maybe a third-party software is at play??

Could be, this is in a studio at work. But seems to be when they are working in Cinema 4D or Adobe Illustrator but those are the apps they use all the time so I am not sure if that is coincidence or not

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
I don't think those specific apps are to blame. It's more if you have a specific modifier of some sort installed. Like a third party driver for a mouse or something to clean-up the menubar. Something that changes they way something is suppose to work.

I know Logitech software on Mac is likely close to the worst software I have ever encountered. Two of my Macs on different OS'es have suffered from random crashes, removed the logitech software, and the problem was gone, hasn't returned since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.