Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I'm excited to get my Sony DPF-D80 8" digital photo frame some time later this week. I'm wondering what the best way to get the best picture quality out of it is. Should I load images up as they are? Should I resize them to its resolution of 800x600 first? Or what about just something of the same aspect ratio like 1600x1200? Very curious how you all have achieved best results. Thanks!

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
It may take some time, but I would crop all the pics I'd upload to the photoframe to 800x600. That way, they display at their native resolution, without slowing down or appearing blocky due to resizing.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
.... I'm wondering what the best way to get the best picture quality out of it is. ...
I would strongly recommend that you do nothing. Many of these frames are intended to accept flash cards directly from a digital camera. They are not intended to force grandma to spend hours on her computer resizing pictures from the family reunion.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I would strongly recommend that you do nothing. Many of these frames are intended to accept flash cards directly from a digital camera. They are not intended to force grandma to spend hours on her computer resizing pictures from the family reunion.

Well, I'm biased towards post-processing. I don't think the picture frames would like the 8-12Mb RAW files my camera saves :p Besides, there's no need to uselessly waste space. If you're only going to view them at 800x600, then why put an 8, 10 or 12 Mp pic in there? That's just less space for your memories, which is what you want to display.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
There is some built-in internal memory - if I resize all of the files, I should be able to make good use of it!

Well, it's probably about 32 or 64 Mb. While I encourage you to resize the pics, I also encourage you to save them at a good quality. I use a minimum of level 10 jpg in Photoshop. Yes, the files may be larger, but the image quality remains. There's no use in post-processing them to make them look good if you're going to compress the heck out of them.

Dale124

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2008
I got that exact frame for christmas this year. It works/ looks great. I did nothing to edit the images before uploading them, which is the intent, I'm sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.