Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
I need this by tomorrow so it has to be available locally. I'm looking at the SB 600 and the SB 800. I could of bought a cheap used SB 80 a while back and I should of. Anyway, what would be the advantages of using the SB-800 rather than the SB-600? I'm just looking for a nice external flash to bounce off walls and stuff.

EDIT: I guess I'm getting an SB-600

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
HckySo said:
I need this by tomorrow so it has to be available locally. I'm looking at the SB 600 and the SB 800. I could of bought a cheap used SB 80 a while back and I should of. Anyway, what would be the advantages of using the SB-800 rather than the SB-600? I'm just looking for a nice external flash to bounce off walls and stuff.

EDIT: I guess I'm getting an SB-600

The main difference is that the SB-800 is slightly more powerful and has wireless commander mode available. This means that it can act as a commander to other wireless, slave SB-600 or SB-800 flash units. This is useful for a portable, multiple light setup. It uses i-TTL metering to calculate the flash output necessary from all the flashes in the group to produce a proper exposure.

It is a good thing that you didn't buy that SB-80 as you would not be able to use i-TTL metering with it.

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
I used the SB-600 today at my sister's graduation party, for once I didn't have to rely on natural or ambient light! And the pictures looked soo much better with zero motion blur, I looove it! It was tough today getting all the shots because I had photos out of my sister and her friends and I had made her a storybook and did all this cool stuff for her and the compliments kept flying in. Even though I thought the photobook looked amateur and crappy.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't like how the flash makes people look, generally. You can see people as being very bright, but not the background. This is when I use my p&s, of course, but I haven't had to use my DSLR with flash except several times outside in daylight hours.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Yes often time flash is overpowering, I find this can be caused by two things.

#1, the camera body relying too much on flash and pushing the aperture too closed and the shutter too fast. Hence I usually use full manual with my flash, and let the flash fill in the rest. With my 24-70mm zoom that means maybe 100 shutter speed, and f4-5.6. I think this is the beauty of ETTL II and the like.

#2, if you can use a device to spread the light out more such as the light sphere, or even just aim the head at a wall or ceiling. I usually like to try to get both the wall and ceiling, otherwise there are shadows under their eyes or brow.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Abstract said:
I don't like how the flash makes people look, generally. You can see people as being very bright, but not the background. This is when I use my p&s, of course, but I haven't had to use my DSLR with flash except several times outside in daylight hours.

These guys make great stuff:

http://www.stofen.com/

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Here are examples of a SB-800 in action

1: Fill Flash outdoors, direct flash, no diffuser
5.jpg

2: Direct flash with on flash softbox
D2H_3000.jpg

3: Bounce off ceiling, no diffuser
D2H_4783.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.