Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mehulparmariitr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
I got my lg 5k monitor today with 218 ppi (27MD5KL) and the ppi is really good but the screen is like heavily glossy!! It is acting like a mirror. Whenever I open any IDE I can clearly see myself while typing code which makes me lose attention. In dark and white backgrounds I can particularly see myself. Wish it was a matte display then it would have been perfect with 218 ppi.

Still my current DELL U2720Q is gold standard. Anything can be done to avoid glossiness??

royas

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2020
You could buy a matte screen protector, like this one: https://viascreens.com/screen-protector/lg/ultrafine-27-27md5kl-b/matte-lite. There should be a few brands selling these. No idea how well that works, but if the glare bothers you, then maybe this would be worth giving a shot.
The only disadvantage here is that it will probably make the picture quality worse.

Then also there are actually 218 PPI matte displays that should work better, including the Imac 27 inch 5k 2020, Pro Display XDR and then the HP Z27Q 5k (though this one is not really sold anymore).

mehulparmariitr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
You could buy a matte screen protector, like this one: https://viascreens.com/screen-protector/lg/ultrafine-27-27md5kl-b/matte-lite. There should be a few brands selling these. No idea how well that works, but if the glare bothers you, then maybe this would be worth giving a shot.
The only disadvantage here is that it will probably make the picture quality worse.

Then also there are actually 218 PPI matte displays that should work better, including the Imac 27 inch 5k 2020, Pro Display XDR and then the HP Z27Q 5k (though this one is not really sold anymore).
Pro XDR cost a fortune, Imac is machine itself(I need a monitor only). So nothing there in the market.

narimangafurov

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
A glossy screen, despite the negative with reflection, is still better! it perfectly conveys the saturation and contrast of the picture-there is also no crystallization effect familiar for matte displays. I will never buy myself a matte display and I do not advise you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.