Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebluecat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2019
I have Gmail set up on my iPhone XS and also on my Mac Pro. Up until a few days ago, everything has been fine. I read an email on the Mac Pro and it shows as read on the iPhone and vice versa. Now if I read mail on the Mac Pro it remains unread on the iPhone.

I have tried deleting the account on the iPhone and adding it back again but nothing changes. This is incredibly frustrating because like most people I do get a lot of main into my Gmail account.

Right now all I can do is manually mark each mail that I have already read or deleted as read on the iPhone.

By the way, I just checked gmail in my browser on my desktop and that is also showing mail that I have read in the Apple Mail app as unread.

As this only started happening a few days ago I wonder if something changed with Gmail and iOS? But then others would be mentioning it and I have not seen anything to indicate that this is the case.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.