Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gewawd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
I placed my order in eBay on February 1 and product ETA was listed between February 26–March 23. I paid $29.99 for the product. (At the time of writing, the product is available in Amazon for about $7 less.) A back story and TL;DR is available towards the end of this post.

I installed the GodoSmith Ice Max 3D on my iPhone 6 Plus yesterday and it took me a disturbing amount of time to get the installation right.

It should be noted that prior to receiving my shipment, I watched a lot of installation tutorials, product problem videos not just exclusive to the specific Ice Max. I was also reading through this thread and learned that the adhesive is not working 100% perfect for everybody.

So I got into cleaning my workspace, removed the product from the packaging, and noticed that the instruction manual is not updated. The manual still says, the dust removal tool is a blue sticker, when what included is actually a packaging tape like sticky product. Nothing too major, just simple details that seem to be overlooked.

I powered off my phone to prevent the display from turning on if I ever accidentally press the sleep/wake or home button during installation. Cleaned the display with the alcohol pad, then wiped it off with an included microfiber cloth, used the included dust removal tool to remove any remaining debris, and finally removed the GodoSmith's protective hard sticker.

With my first attempt, a vertical line of air bubble won't disappear despite massaging them. I figured the product is not aligned properly as somebody mentioned in the linked thread above as to why the bubbles are exclusive to one side. I tried to reposition it by slowly removing it from the top and surprisingly, the product is very easy to reapply. With this second attempt, no more air bubbles are visible and I turn on my iPhone.

However, this is when I noticed the major problem: the cutouts are not perfectly aligned. In the installation process, I used the home button as a benchmark of the Ice Max's alignment. When I got into the home screen, I immediately noticed that a few pixels of the dock is blocked from view by the bezels. The status bar doesn't seem to be affected.

I removed the Ice Max once again and tried to reposition it. With my newfound knowledge that the cutouts are not precise, I had to make the compromise that the display be slightly cut in the status bar and dock if I want the view to be symmetrical. This, in turn, resulted in the cutouts for the FaceTime camera/speaker/ambient & proximity sensors, and home button be slightly below their optimal locations. With this third installation, bubbles appeared in the lower portion of the display. The bubbles not appearing on the extreme edges means that the fit is already perfect so I just simply raised the Ice Max from the top and used a microfiber cloth to slowly reapply the adhesive in an upward motion.

Now back to the inaccurate cutouts issue, I am actually hesitant to contact GodoSmith for a few reasons: 1)English is not their first language as seen with the various grammatical errors in the product packaging; 2)not sure if the replacement product will satisfy my concerns; 3)if it's worth getting charged again at the post for the replacement.

Despite the jarring section of the display being blocked by the Ice Max's bezels, I kept it installed. It's smoother than the iPhone's original glass and has an amazing oleophobic coating. But to be fair, it's been only a day and I immediately wiped the display with the alcohol pad because I had to take a phone call right after the third installation. I may update the review to see how the coating wears off.

It's also doesn't feel like 0.19mm thin since its almost as thick as my 0.3 Moshi iVisor tempered glass from before. But I am only speaking from memory so I may be wrong.

There also is no noticeable reduction with regards to touch sensitivity. Even the extreme edges are accessible despite the cutouts issue. When using swipe gestures, it still feels like there is a corner where your thumb meets the tempered glass from the aluminum body despite the Ice Max being curved.

I'm also happy to report that using it with the Apple Leather Case (in this case the 2014 natural leather version) does not push the Ice Max off the iPhone's display.

A little backstory: I used my iPhone 6 Plus for about half a year naked—no case, no screen protector. It wasn't until Cinder was announced that started to fuel my desire to protect my investment. I had troubles looking for an edge-to-edge tempered glass as with everyone else when the 6 was announced. I found about Moshi's iVisor Glass which was offered locally so I purchased that one instead. The iVisor is edge-to-edge but unfortunately, the edges are not curved. The reason for this is that Moshi makes sure that every screen protector they produce is compatible with their cases, and their cases has a lip to protect the display when placed flat, face down. My first installation of the iVisor was a bit troublesome it was not properly aligned and when I lifted the tempered glass using the suction cup included in the package, it cracked. Thankfully, the local store where I purchased it was willing to give me a replacement for free. Fast forward late 2015, the Moshi iVisor developed a crack and the MicroGrid—a feature to prevent the loss of touch sensitivity—became 200% obvious than before and both problems only seemed to worsen when further applied with pressure. This time, I contacted Moshi support directly, explained my situation, and in lieu of sending them my iVisor, I was sent one free of charge. I did not install this one and this is what led to my purchase of the Ice Max.

After carefully reading reviews between the GodoSmith and Cinder, I noticed that both reviews were mixed. What won me over the Ice Max, however was the price and customer support. If you look at Cinder videos on YouTube, you'll basically see everyone stating in the comments that their support is trash. I figured the Ice Max is available for almost half the price, so that should save me some disappointment.

The product took a surprisingly long time to arrive and I was not available to pick it up at home so I had to go grab my shipment from the post. Hence the long time between placement of purchase and product installation.

TL;DR: a 3/5 product that delivers for it's price but unfortunately had some quality assurance faults.

Photo gallery: http://imgur.com/a/t9Q7o

gewawd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
Nice review. Your photos, however, are too dark to see any of the problematic issues that you're alluding to.
Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, I was using an iPad camera and I guess I could have used Skitch to annotate explicitly what I am indicating. I'll look into updating the photos in a brightly lit area, though!

Reactions: willmtaylor

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I placed my order in eBay on February 1 and product ETA was listed between February 26–March 23. I paid $29.99 for the product. (At the time of writing, the product is available in Amazon for about $7 less.) A back story and TL;DR is available towards the end of this post.

I installed the GodoSmith Ice Max 3D on my iPhone 6 Plus yesterday and it took me a disturbing amount of time to get the installation right.

It should be noted that prior to receiving my shipment, I watched a lot of installation tutorials, product problem videos not just exclusive to the specific Ice Max. I was also reading through this thread and learned that the adhesive is not working 100% perfect for everybody.

So I got into cleaning my workspace, removed the product from the packaging, and noticed that the instruction manual is not updated. The manual still says, the dust removal tool is a blue sticker, when what included is actually a packaging tape like sticky product. Nothing too major, just simple details that seem to be overlooked.

I powered off my phone to prevent the display from turning on if I ever accidentally press the sleep/wake or home button during installation. Cleaned the display with the alcohol pad, then wiped it off with an included microfiber cloth, used the included dust removal tool to remove any remaining debris, and finally removed the GodoSmith's protective hard sticker.

With my first attempt, a vertical line of air bubble won't disappear despite massaging them. I figured the product is not aligned properly as somebody mentioned in the linked thread above as to why the bubbles are exclusive to one side. I tried to reposition it by slowly removing it from the top and surprisingly, the product is very easy to reapply. With this second attempt, no more air bubbles are visible and I turn on my iPhone.

However, this is when I noticed the major problem: the cutouts are not perfectly aligned. In the installation process, I used the home button as a benchmark of the Ice Max's alignment. When I got into the home screen, I immediately noticed that a few pixels of the dock is blocked from view by the bezels. The status bar doesn't seem to be affected.

I removed the Ice Max once again and tried to reposition it. With my newfound knowledge that the cutouts are not precise, I had to make the compromise that the display be slightly cut in the status bar and dock if I want the view to be symmetrical. This, in turn, resulted in the cutouts for the FaceTime camera/speaker/ambient & proximity sensors, and home button be slightly below their optimal locations. With this third installation, bubbles appeared in the lower portion of the display. The bubbles not appearing on the extreme edges means that the fit is already perfect so I just simply raised the Ice Max from the top and used a microfiber cloth to slowly reapply the adhesive in an upward motion.

Now back to the inaccurate cutouts issue, I am actually hesitant to contact GodoSmith for a few reasons: 1)English is not their first language as seen with the various grammatical errors in the product packaging; 2)not sure if the replacement product will satisfy my concerns; 3)if it's worth getting charged again at the post for the replacement.

Despite the jarring section of the display being blocked by the Ice Max's bezels, I kept it installed. It's smoother than the iPhone's original glass and has an amazing oleophobic coating. But to be fair, it's been only a day and I immediately wiped the display with the alcohol pad because I had to take a phone call right after the third installation. I may update the review to see how the coating wears off.

It's also doesn't feel like 0.19mm thin since its almost as thick as my 0.3 Moshi iVisor tempered glass from before. But I am only speaking from memory so I may be wrong.

There also is no noticeable reduction with regards to touch sensitivity. Even the extreme edges are accessible despite the cutouts issue. When using swipe gestures, it still feels like there is a corner where your thumb meets the tempered glass from the aluminum body despite the Ice Max being curved.

I'm also happy to report that using it with the Apple Leather Case (in this case the 2014 natural leather version) does not push the Ice Max off the iPhone's display.

A little backstory: I used my iPhone 6 Plus for about half a year naked—no case, no screen protector. It wasn't until Cinder was announced that started to fuel my desire to protect my investment. I had troubles looking for an edge-to-edge tempered glass as with everyone else when the 6 was announced. I found about Moshi's iVisor Glass which was offered locally so I purchased that one instead. The iVisor is edge-to-edge but unfortunately, the edges are not curved. The reason for this is that Moshi makes sure that every screen protector they produce is compatible with their cases, and their cases has a lip to protect the display when placed flat, face down. My first installation of the iVisor was a bit troublesome it was not properly aligned and when I lifted the tempered glass using the suction cup included in the package, it cracked. Thankfully, the local store where I purchased it was willing to give me a replacement for free. Fast forward late 2015, the Moshi iVisor developed a crack and the MicroGrid—a feature to prevent the loss of touch sensitivity—became 200% obvious than before and both problems only seemed to worsen when further applied with pressure. This time, I contacted Moshi support directly, explained my situation, and in lieu of sending them my iVisor, I was sent one free of charge. I did not install this one and this is what led to my purchase of the Ice Max.

After carefully reading reviews between the GodoSmith and Cinder, I noticed that both reviews were mixed. What won me over the Ice Max, however was the price and customer support. If you look at Cinder videos on YouTube, you'll basically see everyone stating in the comments that their support is trash. I figured the Ice Max is available for almost half the price, so that should save me some disappointment.

The product took a surprisingly long time to arrive and I was not available to pick it up at home so I had to go grab my shipment from the post. Hence the long time between placement of purchase and product installation.

TL;DR: a 3/5 product that delivers for it's price but unfortunately had some quality assurance faults.

Photo gallery: http://imgur.com/a/t9Q7o
Great job--very detailed!

Reactions: gewawd

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
i received my godosmith today but i am not sure if this is the correct product because the box is black and it looks way thicker than 0.19mm.What you guys say?

Attachments

• IMG_20160406_152038_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160406_152038_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 280

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
i received my godosmith today but i am not sure if this is the correct product because the box is black and it looks way thicker than 0.19mm.What you guys say?
Looks like they've changed packaging or that's not legitimate. Probably just changed packaging.

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
Looks like they've changed packaging or that's not legitimate. Probably just changed packaging.
well after 1.5 hours, almost 10 tries i was able to install without any buble and hola effect but believe me its impposible to install without a dust even i tried steam method in the bathroom i still have 3 dots :(

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
well after 1.5 hours, almost 10 tries i was able to install without any buble and hola effect but believe me its impposible to install without a dust even i tried steam method in the bathroom i still have 3 dots :(
When I installed mine, I ised it as an excuse to clean my bathroom, so I cleaned it and then took a nice long hot shower. After the shower, I installed. It took ~3 tries and 20 minutes to get it right

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
That's just the new packaging, but yes I agree I felt mine was a little thicker then the previous one I used. As far as the dots under the screen, I noticed that as well. But after a few days they went away or I just got use to the screen itself and forgot where they were.. either way I don't notice them anymore. Still my fave screen protector.

gewawd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Asia

Maybe the steam method is not for you. I did mine in the dining table and kept it dust free beforehand.

About dust, I was able to pick up remaining lints by slightly lifting the Ice Max and using the included dust removal sticker. If the sticker is now not available, you may use a packaging tape rolled to its side as an alternative.

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
Maybe the steam method is not for you. I did mine in the dining table and kept it dust free beforehand.

About dust, I was able to pick up remaining lints by slightly lifting the Ice Max and using the included dust removal sticker. If the sticker is now not available, you may use a packaging tape rolled to its side as an alternative.
Well dust was the reason for me to reapply the glass about 10 times.I dont know but everytime there was dust on the corners and on the center so i had to lift it all the way up but no chance , i even used the backup sticker from the other glass.

rovolisgiorgos

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
Greece
I have purchased this screen protector for my iPhone 6s Plus and i have a very specific problem with the front facing camera. It appears that when there is a source of light facing the camera some soft of white exposure is applied all around the photo. I tried to align the glass properly several times but i always get the same result. Anyone else having this problem?

db0227

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I had an Ice Max back in November. It accumulated dust under the curved edges, but otherwise it was great. Now I'm disappointed to hear reports that it's thicker (they used to advertise 0.19mm, and it was).

Now I'm using a Power Support AFP Crystal film, but I have the itch to get another Ice Max. You guys still think it's worth it given the increase in thickness? Does it still accumulate dust along the edges?

Would love to hear thoughts from people who have purchased an Ice Max recently.

Reactions: danny8200

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I had an Ice Max back in November. It accumulated dust under the curved edges, but otherwise it was great. Now I'm disappointed to hear reports that it's thicker (they used to advertise 0.19mm, and it was).

Now I'm using a Power Support AFP Crystal film, but I have the itch to get another Ice Max. You guys still think it's worth it given the increase in thickness? Does it still accumulate dust along the edges?

Would love to hear thoughts from people who have purchased an Ice Max recently.

It's dirt cheap on Amazon right now. I would give it another shot. I'm thinking myself about trying it again.

db0227

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Ohh; it's saying $16.99 on the site; on second thought, compared to others on the market it's not dirt cheap. I had this last year when it was $32.00.

Yup. I knew what you meant.

Hey willmtaylor, I know you've been active in the Ice Max discussion, are you using one now? Did you get it recently? Looking for experiences on recent purchases (thickness, dust along the edges, alignment issues, etc.)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hey willmtaylor, I know you've been active in the Ice Max discussion, are you using one now? Did you get it recently? Looking for experiences on recent purchases (thickness, dust along the edges, alignment issues, etc.)
I bought 2 back in the fall. I used one for a while. When I dropped it, it shattered, but my phone did too. :-/

I just got my screen repaired yesterday, and now I'm using a RhinoShield PlayProof by Evolutive Labs.

I'm planning on attempting to install the other, unused Ice Max with the PlayProof today or tomorrow. It's new old stock though, not the updated version, so I can't comment to those.

Last edited:
Reactions: danny8200
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.