Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelscarn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2021
When the 15" MBA was announced, I just knew it was going to replace my 13" M1. I used 15" Pros for close to 10 years before the M1 Air, and really missed the screen size.

However, after trying out both the 13" and 15" M2 MBA at the Apple Store, I've decided to keep the 13" M1 for now. For some reason, the M2's new design didn't feel as ergonomic as the wedge shaped M1. To me, the M2 Air felt like a thinned out Pro, and the design seems more cumbersome than necessary for a fanless device.

The 15" screen is amazing, and something I would have bought no question coming from the 15" Pro, but having been traveling more with the M1 and using it without an external monitor, I'm enjoying the size and overall portability. I use a zippered padded cover with reinforced corners (I think the brand is Tom Toc) and it fits perfectly in any messenger bag or backpack. The 13" footprint takes up less space on those tiny hotel desks too.

Have you gone back to a 13" from the 15", and why?

The design differences are subjective, but I feel for whatever reason, the 15" model is out of place in the MBA line, which has always been about lightweight portability. It's definitely thin and lightweight, but something about it just seems off. Anyone else?

Reactions: Dave351

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I tried the 13 M2 and prefer the wedge-shaped 13 M1. For whatever reason the M2 design was causing wrist pain. The 15 is too big for a laptop. My limit is 14. That said I get severe eye strain when using any M series laptop so I have bigger problems than screen size.

Reactions: jmoore5196

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The 15 Air is lighter than most PC equivalents. How is it people think they’re heavy? Maybe they need to exercise. ;)

The aluminum chassis is a thing of beauty. I like to pet it.

Probably most people don’t buy a 15-inch notebook in the first place. Most people buy a 14-inch model PC notebook, which is less than 3 lbs.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
The 15" was too big for me as well. Bought a refurb 14" M2 MBP instead. Perfect size for me.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I do miss the wedge shaped design... and I agree it feels more comfortable to type on for long periods than M2 MacBook Air.

Every laptop Ive had except M2 Air (PC and Mac) has had a sloped design... I just think it's ergonomic.

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Would love wedge shaped M3 MacBook Air. I like the design much more than the new one. Maybe with a bit smaller bezels.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
The 13" footprint takes up less space on those tiny hotel desks too.
I genuinely think that's the limiting factor with the 15" Air and the 16" MBP if you travel a lot or even just work on the move between offices, home to office etc.

But I absolutely love the design and how light it feels - it feels lighter than it should do for its weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.