Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
A while back I put together a fairly decent windows 10 build, the idea was to dual boot Linux but windows took over, I removed the m.2 drive that contained windows and went with a standard SSD for a straight Linux build.

Well, as unproductive on Windows I was and how naggy and annoying windows 10 was with how controlling it was with updates and my drives and such, I'm finding issues with Ubuntu as well, lately it's been giving me an system error on boot and just being weird.

Also, it's not very productive for me either, it's been more of a web browser, an expensive one too boot.

So, I'm thinking about going back to windows because, well, I can be more productive on that I suppose.

I could pull the Linux SSD drive and probably boot from that via USB dock, or leave it and try to install Windows 10 along side it or just plop the old m.2 drive that has my previous windows 10 install.

I have no issue about doing a fresh install on a new drive, in fact it probably would be a good idea to get a larger SSD anyway. Putting the m.2 drive back I would be a bit of a pain and since I've modified drives and the box of a previous windows 10 install it may do well to start from scratch.

Would this be the best way to go? I still wouldn't mind having a dual boot system, maybe it'd work better with Ubuntu already installed on it's own drive and then do a fresh windows install?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Is this on a Mac, or a standard PC?

Installing Windows after Linux usually results in Windows breaking the Linux boot loader. Typically, you need to install Windows first, then Linux, and Linux will set up the boatloader to dual boot. Granted, I haven't tried to dual boot Win10 and Linux, but that's how it's been with previous Windows versions. Even if you keep the OS drives separate, you may still need to do some extra work. Without knowing what system you have, it's hard to say what you need to do next so you can dual boot.

Reactions: slitherjef

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Might try Debian, or another, rather than Ubuntu.
Last time I tried Ubuntu, it annoyed me in exactly the way you describe.
I agree. At one time, I was using it exclusively, but it lost its way and seems less effective. They did go back to gnome base, but the usability is still not what it used to be. Mint seems like a pretty good option too.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Is this on a Mac, or a standard PC?

Installing Windows after Linux usually results in Windows breaking the Linux boot loader. Typically, you need to install Windows first, then Linux, and Linux will set up the boatloader to dual boot. Granted, I haven't tried to dual boot Win10 and Linux, but that's how it's been with previous Windows versions. Even if you keep the OS drives separate, you may still need to do some extra work. Without knowing what system you have, it's hard to say what you need to do next so you can dual boot.

Standard pc

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
A side note, I did power up my surface pro 3 today and after verifying myself and so on, it was not too bad to use. It's been a while since I used the thing, it seemed to error out looking for updates.

I think I could actually use the thing for some light photo work and videos if it behaves. Would need some extra external storage, micro SD cards are kind of cost effective to use as a scratch drive then an external SSD or something for backup.

---

Would I have any problem doing a fresh install of windows on my desktop box? I mean activation wise since I've already activated it once?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I believe if you created a Windows store account, then the license will be associated with that account. You will need the product key during the install process. If it fails to activate, it's relatively painless to activate it through the automated phone system. I've installed Windows 10 on quite a few different machines, but I've only ever installed one machine to a license, and I sign in to my Microsoft Account during final setup. It has activated automatically each time with no problem.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
After messing with my surface pro 3 and trying to get it updated (not without hiccups) I decided to just go ahead and try to make use of the rig I built earlier. Instead of just plopping the m.2 drive back in containing the previous install of windows 10, I opted to just start fresh and placed an order for a Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD.

Almost went with 1tb but figured this would be enough for most of my programs. And maybe some photos and video

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
I tried going back to Windows last year but for me, it didn't go well at all.

It's not essential for everybody, but I missed Apple's build quality, integration between my phone and laptop and just the general feel of being a part of the computing world known for it's quality, intuitive design and the whole 'just works' thing.

I get bored of my Mac and iPhone, because they're always just there. They do the jobs and they do it well, and there's minimal time spent looking at installers or loading screens. It wasn't until I went to Windows I realised how much I took this for granted.

Windows 10 is amazing compared to Windows before it, but in my books, it's great on the surface (no pun intended) but when you start using it it's the same as my older, more problematic days on Windows.

It didn't work and I ended up being out of pocket by selling my computer at a loss and digging into my savings and buying a new Mac. This is just my experience, and not everybody will agree. Hope it helps you in your decision.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
What would happen if I was to stick the m.2 drive containing windows 10 back in the slot I pulled if from and booted from that? I mean I know I am going to have to change the boot settings in UEFI. Would windows freak out? The PC itself?

Would a clean install on a fresh drive be the better bet since I don't have much on the windows system anyway and the 250gb does seem a bit limited?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Guess I totally screwed up pretty much from the start of the build. The windows 10 USB stick detects windows 10 some place, probably the UEFI. It would not give me the option to do a fresh install to the new drive. Just typical (repair / custom) during boot. It detected the new drive but would not do anything with it. Like the drive was locked or something. Figured it would format the drive for the install. Never did.

So, I guess I will just:
Try the old m.2 drive that I originally installed windows 10 on
or
Forget the whole idea and try to use Ubuntu and just use my surface pro 3 for real work, not ideal.
[doublepost=1516044846][/doublepost]Well, I am back on windows 10. It was a little bit tricky to get the m.2 drive installed back in its slot without taking apart the motherboard to get my hands in the tight spot.

I figured it was going to cause a problem, but the machine booted up (didn't even let me f2 to get into the UEFI mode) and started right off, only had to verify myself a few times and probably have a bunch of updates to install. I still need to put in my other storage drive and get the new SSD initialized. If I can remember how to do that.

Next attempt with Linux? Probably set it up on a thumbdrive or USB drive and boot from that when I want to if possible.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Another day another issue...
So, go out, snap a few photos, come home, power the desktop back up, plop camera card into card reader, open file explorer, make a new folder on my photo drive (3tb) select and copy the new images from CF card to the hard drive, play one of the quick vids from the hard drive I just copied over, it played. Eject the CF card, then the card reader. Go back into file explorer and find the storage drive is now missing! Like its been ejected as well or unplugged.

So, I reboot my system, find the drive and folder with the new images and clips

So, I reboot my system, find the drive and folder with the new images and clips

Wait, I just said that twice! That's because I now have a duplicate storage drive, one containing a shortcut to the other drive. Both Storage drives are identical (I deleted the shortcut on one) with the same amount of available storage, the same data, the same path, everything!

Damn, I wish this meant that I found a way to get unlimited storage, but I know better. I just can't figure out why windows decided to clone my drive and everything with itself with it being only one single physical drive!?

Browsing the file tree in another program showed the two copies as well..

It makes me wonder if I will get duplicate of the duplicates next time I pull files to this card.

I do have one thought though and I wonder if it is because I ran Ubuntu (with the storage drive removed at the time) then put the drive with windows back in and booted back up?
[doublepost=1516570798][/doublepost]When I clicked on the hidden icons icon menu on my tool bar, I am given the option to EJECT the storage drive. For some reason windows sees the 3tb drive as a hot-swappable drive???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.