Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwiftcastFlare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
Hope's Peak Academy
Hey all!' I'll be switching to an iPhone 8+ in January, and I'm nervous since it'll be my first iPhone, especially considering that folks are under the consensus that the new generation of iPhones break easily. I've always had my phones in cases, with screen protectors and all, so I imagine that as long as I take care of it as I always have, it should be fine. (I also plan on getting Apple Care as a precaution.) I'm just SUPER nervous, and I'm certain it's just me being too paranoid from not having had experience with an iPhone as my daily driver before.

TLDR: Longtime Android user nervous about my first iPhone and just wanted some advice from soon-to-be fellow iPhone users so I can stop freaking out about it. xD

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Welcome to the MR forums! :)
Don’t worry about it. iPhones hold up just fine, just do what you did before, phone case, preferably not hard shell, and glass screen protector. I remember there was some deal about the larger iPhones breaking when the 6 came out, but it seemed to be something like people putting them in their back or tight pockets and sitting on them. My wife has a large 6 that has dropped many times without issue. I recently looked at an 8 and it looks practically the same as my 6. I’m using a Case Mate case, although as you probably know there are beefier cases out there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MI8UK0C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ps- Although they look like they might, the 6 cases don’t fit the 8s.

Last edited:

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Why did you give up the Pixel? I’m considering the Pixel 2 due to the speaker issues I’m having with 8/8+.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Don’t worry about it. Of all the forums that I visit this one has the most people getting their pants all twisted up and whining about really non-issues.
This is my daily dose of comedy relief sometimes.
iPhones (8, 8+, X) are no more fragile than than any other glass front and back phones (like the current high end Samsung’s).
I was a forever Android user (with a few windows phones and BBs thrown in the mix) since the very first android phones. In July I got my first ever iPhone (a 7+) and just about a month ago got a iPhone X. I also now have a iPad Pro 10.5.
I could not be happier to have made the move to Apple. This whole ecosystem suits my needs and uses perfectly.

Reactions: SwiftcastFlare

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I’ve had every iPhone. I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro 10.5. Apple Pencil, Apple Watch & kids have iPads. I’m invested. I’m just not happy about speakers sounding busted in several apps I use.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I wouldn’t worry about it breaking easily. Doesn’t break any more easily than any other phone.

But yes some things will be different. My advise will be to give in and over. Join the system fully and don’t try and make it or compare it to what you were used to. It worked for me when I went with WebOS, Android, Windows Mobile etc.

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2017
USA
Hey all!' I'll be switching to an iPhone 8+ in January, and I'm nervous since it'll be my first iPhone, especially considering that folks are under the consensus that the new generation of iPhones break easily. I've always had my phones in cases, with screen protectors and all, so I imagine that as long as I take care of it as I always have, it should be fine. (I also plan on getting Apple Care as a precaution.) I'm just SUPER nervous, and I'm certain it's just me being too paranoid from not having had experience with an iPhone as my daily driver before.

TLDR: Longtime Android user nervous about my first iPhone and just wanted some advice from soon-to-be fellow iPhone users so I can stop freaking out about it. xD
Join the fam of timely updates and solid battery life!

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Outside of the speaker issue I think the 8+ is the best iPhone ever made. Battery for miiiiiles. Screen better than specs and camera is amazing.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Outside of the speaker issue I think the 8+ is the best iPhone ever made. Battery for miiiiiles. Screen better than specs and camera is amazing.
The battery life is great for normal use, but it tends to drain relatively quick when binge watching videos. It's a shame we couldn't have the same size battery as the 7+ for even more endurance.

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Agreed! The phone is very fast as well...way faster than my 6! Is it a bit heavy? Yeah at times, but it literally is like having a computer in your pocket.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
As somebody who uses Android and ios with my current phone a Note 8 and a tablet being an iPad Pro 10.5 ( also have a Tab S3 but Meh) and used iPhones as well ( 3GS, 4, 6 plus and 7) there is some differences but if you put everything on Google like your contacts and photos and etc it will make life just very easy. You can switch at will pretty much and all you'll lose is text messages. I did this when I went from the Note 4 to the iPhone 6 plus and changing back to Android was quick and painless. Not suggesting you'll come back to Android but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket and use Apple as my default.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
The iPhone 8+ is a great example of a refined design. Terrific camera, display and battery life.

Tailor your protection to your own useage scenarios. Speaking for myself, I’m clumsy, distracted, work on concrete floors and have a cat so I use a mid weight OtterBox and no screen protector (my case has a lip to protect against facedown falls and I can’t stand anything on my screen).

I’m someone who loves to watch videos (MLB for example) outdoors and the 8+ makes that really pleasurable. I also like to use iOS devices at work (teaching) to lighten my load and the 8+ provides a useable alternative to my iPad.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
As somebody who uses Android and ios with my current phone a Note 8 and a tablet being an iPad Pro 10.5 ( also have a Tab S3 but Meh) and used iPhones as well ( 3GS, 4, 6 plus and 7) there is some differences but if you put everything on Google like your contacts and photos and etc it will make life just very easy. You can switch at will pretty much and all you'll lose is text messages. I did this when I went from the Note 4 to the iPhone 6 plus and changing back to Android was quick and painless. Not suggesting you'll come back to Android but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket and use Apple as my default.
Or instead of using a proprietary format like Google does you could utilise Apple's open standards and add Cardav and Caldav to your Android devices as a protocol and be fully interoperable with iCloud. Also has a side advantage that it leaves your contact images alone, and can synch contacts who have multiple names and titles properly...

That is how I kept my Galaxy S7 Edge and Nexus 7 in touch with all other devices...

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Or instead of using a proprietary format like Google does you could utilise Apple's open standards and add Cardav and Caldav to your Android devices as a protocol and be fully interoperable with iCloud. Also has a side advantage that it leaves your contact images alone, and can synch contacts who have multiple names and titles properly...

That is how I kept my Galaxy S7 Edge and Nexus 7 in touch with all other devices...
Meh. I rather just keep my contacts on Google and I don't have much love for them either.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It is whatever works for you :)

I just don't like having to use a proprietary protocol, but most importantly I never liked how (or should that be understood) how bad Google contacts is when people have pre-fix and post-fix titles, and then also double-barrelled names. I've tried it several times but it just doesn't work well when synchronising across multiple devices, yet with the open carddav protocol I have not got such issues ever and worked across WebOS, iOS and Windows Mobile natively, and with an extension also on Android.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I concur. The iPhone 8 is the one phone that had the chance to mature over four generations of iPhones to make it the best LCD iPhone Apple has ever offered. And the way I mean that is, that touch ID has matured, Apple has the best LCD displays/calibrations for any smart phone, and added incremental features over the years with 3D Touch, stereo speakers, water resistance, True-Tone, etc , which all of these will make the iPhone 8 a huge success long-term.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It's both ironic and reality. Apple is probably the best computer hardware company in the world but their services are severely lacking (not quite as bad as say Samsung, but not anything like MSFT or Google)
Not for contacts and calendaring I would argue. Rock solid open source protocols are employed that can deal with nearly anything.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Not for contacts and calendaring I would argue. Rock solid open source protocols are employed that can deal with nearly anything.
Calendar is fine. Outlook is actually a lot better. Contacts? Pretty bad. I have a MSFT Exchange account through work, and for whatever reason (even if I change it), new contacts get added to my work account, so they don't make it to my Mac.

It's just not good.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Meh. For some reason Apple decided on its own to stop saving my contacts on Google and decided to save it to Apples default one whatever it is

SwiftcastFlare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
Hope's Peak Academy
Why did you give up the Pixel? I’m considering the Pixel 2 due to the speaker issues I’m having with 8/8+.

Well, I'm not giving up my Pixel per se (as I bought it when it first came out, with Project Fi and all, and have loved it ever since), I'm just trying out something new, as I've admired the 8+ since it came out! I'm giving myself about 6 months-a year with the product before I decide whether or not to go back to Android! (Hence why I'm keeping my Pixel on standby xD)

I imagine it shouldn't be too terrible to switch over since all of my stuff is integrated into google. Now if only Google could get it together with the Apple watch apps...>___>; xD

Reactions: PBz

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
I imagine it shouldn't be too terrible to switch over since all of my stuff is integrated into google.
I used Android for ~8 years before taking my wife's 'old' iPhone. I use Google services a fair bit and once I figured out how to make my Google data the default (contacts, calendar, etc), I quickly had the iPhone's Contact app populated with all of my familiar contacts and working in Messages. I don't like the iOS Calendar app so I downloaded Google's Calendar (as well as the Gmail app). You just have to turn OFF iCloud syncing for contacts and calendar to keep it 'clean'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.