Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
My daughter is going to be taking a photography class her senior year. I have a D5000 with 3 lenses already so I figured if I could find a cheap enough used Nikon, she could use the lenses as well. If she didn't like it I would have a 2nd body regardless. I was trying to find a good body at a reasonable price. Checking out the usual used dealers online (adorama) and others. I was getting ready to spend around $325 for a good body.

Then this comes along.

I am going to look at a used Nikon D50 with a 1.8 50mm, and want to know what to look for. The old saying too good to be true may apply here, she is selling whole package for $165.

I do get to look at it in person, can shoot any shots i want.

Any thoughts.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
My daughter is going to be taking a photography class her senior year. I have a D5000 with 3 lenses already so I figured if I could find a cheap enough used Nikon, she could use the lenses as well. If she didn't like it I would have a 2nd body regardless. I was trying to find a good body at a reasonable price. Checking out the usual used dealers online (adorama) and others. I was getting ready to spend around $325 for a good body.

Then this comes along.

I am going to look at a used Nikon D50 with a 1.8 50mm, and want to know what to look for. The old saying too good to be true may apply here, she is selling whole package for $165.

I do get to look at it in person, can shoot any shots i want.

Any thoughts.

Amazon has em for around 350$. I would snag that up, make sure it is in working order, squeeze some shots off, watch it connect and download the images and look at them. If you don't see anything odd then I would get it. It's a lowball price, but they may just want to get rid of it fast for bills or whatever. I'd get it.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
If it's in good shape, it's a steal. The nifty-fifty alone is worth at least $100. The D50 has a built-in AF motor, so it can use all the older Nikkor AF lenses, and will almost run forever on a single charge with a good battery, even with moderate flash use. It has pretty decent low noise characteristics with arguably slightly better IQ than it's older sibling, the D70, both are 6mp, which should do just fine for any photo class. You can also make surprisingly large prints from it using Blow-up or Genuine Fractals software, or by getting big prints made from a good printing outfit.

I still have mine, and it's been a great camera.

Here are four quick samples I could dig up with this combo: D50 and 50f/1.8
They were shot a little over a year ago shortly after I got the nifty-fifty, but the camera was three years old already... they're pretty dependable.

1/800, f/9.0, ISO200
DSC_7974.jpg

1/640, f/5.0, ISO200
DSC_8122.jpg

1/80, f/1.8, ISO800
DSC_7899.jpg

1/250, f/1.8, ISO200
DSC_8159.jpg

rekud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for Quick Responses

I am going to look at it here within the hour.

PDX - Great shots.

You are right about the 50/1.8, that was actually the next lens i was going to buy for myself.

I will let you know what comes out of it.

Chris

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You can take a photo and look at the EXIF in your notebook, to check out how many actuations the camera has. This is a nice feature from Nikon DSLRs.

rekud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Bought it

Outer condition overall - very good, 1 minor chip

Settings/Controls - as of now all seem to work without issue

50m lens - great in AF mode, M mode the ring seems kind of sluggish to move? Not very smooth, but will focus.

Test shots - excellent, need to work with some more, just some quick shots but like what i see.

Came with a Vivitar Auto/Bounce 40d dedicated flash. I tried it, it works, just never worked with an external flash like that, blew the pictures out? Will need to work on that.

1GB Scandisk HD Ultra ii - no pics on it, either reformatted or new?

Said they needed the money to pay a bill that is due on Monday.

No books on anything, but enough information can be found on the internet.

I gotta believe this whole set up is at least $350

Couple of quick test shots:

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 80

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I gotta believe this whole set up is at least $350

Couple of quick test shots:

yes it is... congrats man, you got very lucky.. just like me when i picked up a D70s for peanuts because the guy got a present from his wife (a d5000) and wanted to "just get rid of it".

sometimes one gets lucky... enjoy it :) That 50mm is a great lens :D

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
GOOD DEAL

Like everyone else and I said before, people get desperate. Thats a decent find though and the fact that it is in overall good shape... wow. It wasn't priced so low that you would have to be suspicious about it, it was just lowballed. Way lowballed. Any lower.. yah.

In any case.. my next body is going to be the Canon 50D. Anyone know where to get the lowest deal on it? I was looking at Amazon and there are several reasonable priced used ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.