Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
In a few weeks i'm heading to the NY Intl auto show, and was wondering what settings would be best for capturing the images. Now i'm not a beginner photographer, and could get the job done quite well, just wondering from those out there who have photographed car shows before what i should use.
Have a nikon d50 w/ 18-55mm and 70-300mm
Questions like:
Should i use the flash?
Any one aperture to use / or shutter speed
I was planning on using the 18-55 for the 70-300 would be too close

Just general tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
I've been in an auto show 2 weeks ago but left the camera in the car because the battery was on the charger back at home. :rolleyes:

So, the 18-55 would be great for this purpose, i can't think of any situation in an auto-show that requires a long tele.

About using the flash or not, if the cars are well-lit and you get a hand-holdable shutter speed, then don't use it. The cars will be polished and shiny and you'll have difficulty controlling the flash reflections. There will be plenty of highlights on the paint from other light sources anyway. But for those interior snaps you'll need the flash!

Remember to post some pics!

EDIT: On second thought, take that 70-300 with you also. You wanna get as close as possible to those pretty girls with bikinis, you know, zoom to a specific feature. ;) :D

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
no suggestions on gear, but snap some shots of the new Infiniti EX crossover concept they're supposed to reveal there. :) It's supposed to be a smaller version of their FX, and it might be my next car!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If the lighting is low, which would never happen unless you were shooting a car's interior, shoot at 18 mm. Camera shake affects you less at 18 mm than at 35 mm or 55 mm (just examples), and your aperture is widest at this setting. I don't like flash in situations like when you're inside a car if you're only going to use the built-in flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.