Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to NYC late next week and while I normally order from Adorama, I'm wondering what store offers the best in-person retail experience in terms of floor area, product to look at, staff to talk to, etc.

Can anyone who's been to both provide their recommendation?

Thx!

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Both are excellent, but B&H IMO is usually pretty busy. Hit Adorama.

No hate to B&H, I order lots from them, just an opinion.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
I have been to B&H, but not to Adorama, although I have shopped at both stores for a few decades.

Depending on what your needs/expectations are, I would choose B&H for 2 reasons. It's much larger and therefore has a huge amount of goodies on display. Secondly, they have a huge inventory and are more likely to have what most people are looking for, both on display and in stock for sale.

As far as prices are concerned, there really isn't much (if any) difference between them because if one is cheaper on the item that you want, more than likely the other one will match the price.

Have fun, but be forewarned that both are dangerous to your wallet - once you see it, touch it etc, it's as good as sold!!!

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
I will preface this by saying I order from both online. However for the in-person experience, I would unflinchingly say B&H.

1. Bigger store - Adorama will feel cramped after a while. Also, you'll get the "wow" factor after going up the escalator.
2. Less sales pressure - maybe it's just me, but I'll always end up with a few Adorama business cards getting shoved into my hand.
3. I feel like everybody at B&H I talk to can relate with personal experience. At Adorama, it's feels more like they know their merchandise more by selling it.
4. More likely to have something you want in stock
5. More convenient to get to - you'll probably end up passing by Penn Station at some point - it's just a crosstown block away from the 8th Avenue subway lines (A/C/E)
6. Check the event calendar when you're there - there are often little seminars they put on with fairly knowledgeable people (often from Canon or Nikon).

However...

1. I would say Adorama almost ALWAYS has more used/refurbished inventory available.
2. If you want to get somebody to talk to, it should be easier
3. They'll definitely make a deal if you show them a lower price elsewhere

And finally...

Sales tax in NY sucks. Save your bigger and less urgent purchases for the internet (not sure about the implication of shipping to Canada, but I am sure you do).

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I've been to both in person in NYC and B&H is definitely bigger and better. Spend your money there :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Online I love adorama but b&h is larger as some have said. Either one is good and I'd spend and have spent a considerable amount of time and money there.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I have never been to Adorama but B&H is a very good store. It is busy, but there is so many employees it cuts that down a bit.

I 2nd this, I have never been to Adorama but have visited the B&H store and thought it was like heaven on earth lol. Very fun place to visit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.