Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GainfulShrimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
I got my first AW recently, which I absolutely *love*. In fact, I keep meaning to post some pics of it but I'm distracted too easily.
Anyway, one surprising and niggly issue - with my body more than with the watch tbh - is that my wrists swell more than I ever realised...

My previous watch was a Fitbit Charge 3 with a cheapo/Amazon third party stainless steel Milanese strap. I used to fiddle with the magnet and adjust it all day long, which I put down to a daft little nervous habit rather than my wrist actually changing size, requiring adjustment.

Having read/seen all the furore about "Apple's sizing problem" with the solo loop / braided solo loop bands, I used both the print-at-home measuring tool and a tape measure. The measuring tool said I was firmly in the size 7 bracket and the tape measure was *just* in the size 7, but if I adjusted the reading ~2mm smaller, the Apple Store recommended a size 6 for a snug fit and active sports, and a size 7 for a looser fit.
I know from previous watches/Fitbits that I prefer a snug-ish fit and the consensus of the stroppy reports and YouTube videos that I watched about sizing recommended erring on the smaller size - perhaps even going down one size - so I confidently ordered a size 6 charcoal braided loop.

I thus could have kicked myself when I tried on my size 6 band and it felt way too tight. :rolleyes:

I ordered a size 7, thinking it would be perfect, and in the mean time enjoyed wearing the deployment buckle that I got with the watch.

When the size 7 arrived, I tried it on and it felt too loose... not crazy-loose, but my watch kept feeling like it was sliding down my wrist and it was far from the snug fit that I usually enjoy. I couldn't quite believe it, so I tried the size 6 on again and - on this occasion - it fit me perfectly.

Here's a classic hairy wrist pic showing my size 7 loop 'drooping' / sliding down my wrist when my wrists are having a skinny moment:

IMG_3036.png

I've since realised that my wrists seem to swell / change size quite a lot - more than I ever realised - depending on the time of day, how active I am and how hot I feel, etc, etc.

I'm happy (I suppose) to keep both sizes of braided solo loop, as they are both genuinely useful to me because of my stupid size-changing wrists... but I wouldn't be surprised if this issue is the root cause of the sizing problems that people reported. My experience is that I fit *both* size 6 and size 7, depending on whether it's early in the day and I'm cold, or a hot evening and I've been on a long walk.

Anyone else noticed this, or are my wrists just weird? ;)

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I use the sport band. I find over a 24 hour period I can be moving between the two adjacent holes and over a full week sometimes even moving between three. You're not alone.

Reactions: sixtydashone

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Add me to the list that has to change as well even more so if i'm doing any sport. I wore mine to play cricket at the weekend and whilst bowling\fielding i had to change it a couple of times over the course of a couple of hours as my wrists got warm\sweaty and the watch started to feel tight.

GainfulShrimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
Sport loop solves this problem, it's infinitely adjustable.. I would only wear the braided loop for casual situations. Sport band or Nike sport band for working out..
Funnily enough, I’ve just ordered a Midnight Blue Sport Band (new, apparently genuine) from eBay... despite having the orange Hermès sport band already.
I’ve never been particularly into watches or their bands but somehow the Apple Watch feels personal and makes me want to customise it. Either that or Apple have hypnotised me haha.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.