Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Flickr now does videos and basically I think it isn't a good idea. What other sites are out there that are like flickr but without videos now?

It's a shame Flickr did this and I'm glad I never paid to use the site on the hunch that something like this would happen.

Anybody elses thoughts?

iFizz

macrumors regular
Haha, I just replied to somebody on flickr with same that response! But you make a good point, and I already have .mac, its just I use it for complete pieces of work. Then again at least I control what I put on there hey?

Yeah .mac gets a bad rep. But, it serves its purpose well, for a price. I use .mac for my personal photos and flickr for my blog photos. It works for me. But you are right, it would be nice if someone could point out some other free options besides flickr....

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
It's a shame Flickr did this and I'm glad I never paid to use the site on the hunch that something like this would happen.

err...so Flickr added a feature and you want to stop using it? Ok but you can also just not use the new feature. Just a thought.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Flickr now does videos and basically I think it isn't a good idea.

Just curious, why does then adding video make you want to no longer use the site?

If you need another place, tell us how many photos you have and if you need high resolution and if you want to be able to sell prints. What services are you looking for?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
err...so Flickr added a feature and you want to stop using it? Ok but you can also just not use the new feature. Just a thought.

So if I do a search and all I find are videos, whats the point of this feature? I can't avoid other people from using it. Why couldn't yahoo just do a video site? It isn't as simple as not using that feature.

The temptation from others to shoot video instead of stills means flickr becomes a possible youtube. But I don't want to debate the finer points of flickr as I'm not a professional, I want an alternative.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Flickr now does videos and basically I think it isn't a good idea. What other sites are out there that are like flickr but without videos now?

Anybody elses thoughts?

a few weeks ago i signed up for http://www.webshots.com

The site seemed to be easier than flickr and have a prettier interface haha

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Honestly, I am really disappointed that flickr added the video feature and I'm really afraid it might ruin the great thing flickr has become, especially after being a 'pro' member for 3 years. But, I still love the flickr community and will keep using it, despite that fact they added the video functionality. In my opinion, even though you can find a substitute for the functionality flickr offers, there is really not quite a replacement for the community it offers.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm paid up with Flickr through mid-2009. I fully expect, by that time, that Microsoft will have turned it into a piece of crap. Probably some sort of iView integration will have been shoved down peoples' thoats, and folks who choose not to use iView will run into all sorts of roadblocks.

To the OP: When you say "sites like Flickr", do you only mean FREE sites? There are quite a few other for-fee sites (e.g. SmugMug) that many people like.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Honestly, I am really disappointed that flickr added the video feature and I'm really afraid it might ruin the great thing flickr has become, especially after being a 'pro' member for 3 years. But, I still love the flickr community and will keep using it, despite that fact they added the video functionality. In my opinion, even though you can find a substitute for the functionality flickr offers, there is really not quite a replacement for the community it offers.

Soon it will evolve to primarily video and become another youtube....FLUBE!

There are to many video sites, flickr just lost what it was meant for -purely photos. Once flickr realizes that pro members will not be utilizing the video feature, they will extend it to all members... videos with photos, not photos with videos. I just really hope flickr doenst get all that junk that youtube has, seems everything is about sex on youtubes popular channels

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
So if I do a search and all I find are videos, whats the point of this feature? I can't avoid other people from using it. Why couldn't yahoo just do a video site? It isn't as simple as not using that feature.

The temptation from others to shoot video instead of stills means flickr becomes a possible youtube. But I don't want to debate the finer points of flickr as I'm not a professional, I want an alternative.

Are you saying there's no option to not include videos in your search results?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I always suggest SmugMug, although it is a pay-for site.

If you're interested PM me; I have a referral code that'll save you some money.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I always suggest SmugMug, although it is a pay-for site.

If you're interested PM me; I have a referral code that'll save you some money.

Same, I love the customization and support that Smugmug provides.

Here's my site if you want to take a look around.
johnpham.smugmug.com

There's also zenfolio.com, but it doesn't have photo comments yet. Great looking site tho'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.