Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I'm currently living in and traveling around europe for a year. I'm using a sony cyber shot that is a few years old and am not satisfied with the photo quality. I'm wondering about getting a good camera that I can take beautiful photos regardless of the light I'm dealing with. my current camera picks up very little in the way of light contrasts. I was thinking about spending some money for an DSLR but I don't have much money as I'm getting ready to travel through France, Spain and Morocco. What is the best option for me under 350$. can i get a great camera that will satisfy my needs at that price? It would also be great if the camera was chargeable via usb so i don't have to carry around chargers and such.

jkramb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
well, after looking around, i think every DSLR is to expensive, unless anyone knows a good place to buy a used camera.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Reputable local brick & mortar shops are a good place to buy. You should get a bit of warranty and it can be even cheaper than online, while at the same time allowing you to inspect the goods before purchase.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
It's easy to find a used Canon Rebel XT or XTi with kit lens for less than $350, and those cameras have excellent low-noise characteristics (for APS-C format, anyway)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
well, after looking around, i think every DSLR is to expensive, unless anyone knows a good place to buy a used camera.

Yes, you've figured it out. $350 will get you a good used setup.

Where to buy? Almost any decent camera shop. (the word "decent" excludes all of the big chain stores.) after hat oneof the Nikon forums, Criagslist and finally keh.com and some of the big NYC stors like B&H and Adorama.

You should be able to find a Nikon D50 or D70s with the 18-55 kit lens for $300 to $350. Both of these camera are much better than a new D40 because they both have built-in focus moors. between the two the best is the D50. It is newer and has a better sensor

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The OP said he is in Europe. It makes no sense to import this particular kind of used equipment from USA into Europe.

It's not only about shipping and duties, but while there are many great deals for new stuff in USA, popular used gear is a bit expensive.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Where are you in Europe at the moment? Perhaps then we would have a better idea of the value of 'about $350' and also of your shop options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.