Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
So I am pondering upgrading to a DSLR, and I stopped in to my local independent camera store today. While talking to the owner about a Nikon D3000, I noticed a used D80 body only for $450. I did not know enough to ask about it. Afterwards I went to Best Buy, and I really liked the feel of the D90. I really cannot afford that, but after looking at dpreview.com, I think the D80 would work for me. I like the slightly larger body of the D90. I do not know the shutter actuation for the D80 body, and I would have to find a lens. Since I did not really process that it was a D80 for $450, I never asked him about it, although I could go back tomorrow and ask. Especially if he would make me a package deal on that body and a used lens, or even a new lens.

Thanks in advance,

Chef Jay

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Chef Jay
I am very happy with my D80. I bought it new with a kit 18-55mm lens. since then I have added a new 50mm 1.4, a 55-200 mm 4-5.6, and some old manual lenses that work well. I had some dust show up on the sensor, but it was easy to clean, DO NOT use canned air, I actually used a new baster to create the blast of air. I have been happy with the Image Quality. No video, but I'm not a videographer anyway Low light performance is ok.
It has been all in all a pretty good body for since I got it in two summers ago. I still want a D700, but for now it is what I can afford and works with all my Nikon lens.

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Thanks RHVC59, I am leaning towards this. Have to go back and see what lenses he has, or hit up eBay/Craigslist. I do not think I have ever researched a purchase this much.

Chef Jay

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
D80? $450? I'd hit that. I loved the D80 view finder for one. Great backup body really if carrying a D300 or even D3.

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
I was just in a similar situation as you are, I almost bought a D80 but several online reviews and surveying as many people I could who use them made me opt against it.

The D80 has had a few issues, if you do a google search or even dig around the forum you will find some of it listed.

Some people love it, but again do your own research and if you have friends with it, look at the images.

HTH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.