Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Considering Best Buy has it for $150 more, I'd say it is a good deal. While you're at it though, you might want to look into Nikon's D40. It is on Amazon for $533. I guess it is Nikon's answer to the Rebel XT. (as is the D40x to the XTi - not sure where that leaves the D80, though) I have the D50 and love it - great camera.

I'm sure your dad will be happy with either camera, though. :)

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
What are the differences between the rebel xt and the nikon d40. and where do you people just buy lenses?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
What are the differences between the rebel xt and the nikon d40. and where do you people just buy lenses?

They are comparable in features but the D40 has a much better construction. The Rebel is made out of plastic and feels "cheap" to some.

Many people buy their lenses from B&H (bhphotovideo.com) or Adorama. (adorama.com)

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
They are comparable in features but the D40 has a much better construction. The Rebel is made out of plastic and feels "cheap" to some.

Canon has better glass.

Of course Canon makes wonderful glass, but Nikon's professional lenses are no slouches... they are quite superb in my opinion :eek:

That's a myth.

Wow, you guys! You really managed NOT to turn this one into a Nikon vs. Canon thread. Well done! :rolleyes:

The guy is obviously a novice, and one-sided opinions truly don't help him make his decision easier.

HomeingPigeon- both Canon and Nikon are good. The camera you linked to is a good deal. At this price range you're going to get essentially the same thing from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus-with minor differences. Remember that when you're getting this camera it's a present. As cliche as it may be, it's the thought that counts, and it is a very kind gesture to go out a spend 6Cs on your dad.

Now to respond to my fellow photographers:

Yup. That's true. The D40 does feel better in your hand- assuming you have feminine hands.

Canon has better glass.
They reallly do. And that $1800 I've been saving up for the 85mm L prime could not have been spent in better ways.

That's a myth.
No, that's an anecdote. A myth involves dragons and ancient dieties.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Yup. That's true. The D40 does feel better in your hand- assuming you have feminine hands.

What? I said that because the D40 seems a little bigger and more rugged. Canon makes some good stuff, I just personally don't like the Rebel's construction and thought it might help the OP in his decision since as you said yourself, they are essentially the same thing.

I didn't turn it into a Canon vs. Nikon thread. I just simply compared Canon's & Nikon's low end SLR.

As far as the Canon has better glass comment, I'm not sure how that is relevant to the OP as either kit lenses aren't anything amazing and considering he isn't looking into a high end SLR with expensive lenses, it really doesn't seem too important. I occasionally use the 18-55 on my D50 and I have no complaints.

At this price range you're going to get essentially the same thing from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus-with minor differences. Remember that when you're getting this camera it's a present. As cliche as it may be, it's the thought that counts, and it is a very kind gesture to go out a spend 6Cs on your dad

Right. However, if you're spending that much on a gift anyhow (which is very kind), I'd want to make sure he ends up with the best camera for him.

& To the OP, is this a surprise gift? My best advice would be to let your father try out both cameras at a store and see which he prefers. Either way, I'm sure he'll be thrilled.

:)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The biggest difference is that a Nikon body only accepts Nikon lenses and the Canon Canon lenses. But more than this, after you buy a few Nikon lenses and some years later decide the body needs to be replaced or upgraded you wil have all these expensive leses and so you'll ned to buy a Nikon body so you can still use them. So choose Nikon or Canon but just realize that you are also selecting your next SLR body and the next one too. So you'd better like the company because you will be making a commitment to it that could last decades. Don't just flip a coin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.