Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a good digital SLR camera so I can start taking pictures. This will be my 1st venture into photography and if it's not my niche, I didn't spends tons of money on a camera. My budget is between $500-600 dollars for a camera. Thanks ~

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a good digital SLR camera so I can start taking pictures. This will be my 1st venture into photography and if it's not my niche, I didn't spends tons of money on a camera. My budget is between $500-600 dollars for a camera. Thanks ~

For $500 - $600, forget DSLR and go with a digital camera with a decent fixed lens.

"Good", "DSLR", "New" and "under $600 all in" don't go together

For a starter camera, re-evaluate whether you really need the ability to change lenses -- keeping in mind that many of the lenses alone will be $500 - $1500.

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
For $500 - $600, forget DSLR and go with a digital camera with a decent fixed lens.

"Good", "DSLR", "New" and "under $600 all in" don't go together
Hmmm... ok let me rephrase that then. Good didgital camera for $500-600 for a beginner.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The Nikon D40 or the Pentax K110D is within your price range. I would do a bit of research before making a purchase. This site is what you want:
http://www.dpreview.com/

True, although even with the kit lens, add batteries, a memory card, taxes and/or shipping, it would still be pushing the budget.

Do your research, maybe even see if you can borrow a camera for a while to get a feel for it. Disregard the ceapest prices you see online, those are from sharp sellers and there are lots of pitfalls. Go with a reputable dealer. Check http://www.resellerratings.com.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
You might also want to look at the canon rebel. From what I've seen and heard (my family is deep into photography) canon makes some of the better digital SLR cameras. Funny thing is, most people that have said that, are nikon fans.. heh

Go with a reputable dealer. Check http://www.resellerratings.com.

I agree with CanadaRAM, there are a lot of shady dealers. I'll recommend B&H, but they are a not the cheapest.

check this rebel

The problem is, as other's said. Most SLR's are not cheap. You need to buy the camera and the lens. a kit that includes both usually costs +650. then you need to buy a memory card too :(

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
From what I read those are my best buys for entry level photography.

Yeah, I think you would like the Nikon D40 (or the updated version, the D40x) quite a bit. Nikon's consumer dSLRs are great. I imagine their pro SLRs are as well; but I don't have any experience with those. :D

B&H has the D40 kit available for $549. Having used both, I think Nikon's low end glass is somewhat better than Canon's - I'm sure other people will disagree on that point, however.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
A Nikon D40 will be excellent for you needs, assuming you can spend up to about $700. You'll get the decent kit Nikkor lens, which for most shooting will be enough for now. This will be a good starter system for you, seeing as the D40 will be generally easy to operate, and yet still provide the quality you're looking for, a quality that will provide you with far superior images to those taken on even SLR-like point and shoots.

As others have said, buy from a reputable dealer, or a local camera store - you don't want gray market items, so avoid shady resellers promising a "good deal!"

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I back the d40 as a good choice, I love mine, great first dSLR.
You could probably find a used one, and save a bit there, but if you want new you'll have to up the price.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
I just got a demo-ed Olympus E-500 w/ kit 14-45mm lens, 1GB CF card, and some other cheap accessories for under $500 shipped. Got it on eBay from CametaCamera. He's got tons of great feedback, and the transaction went very smoothly. I would definitely recommend buying from him if you don't need something brand new (though he does have new items, as well).

I love my new toy, but he also has good prices on D40s and other nice cameras. Just something to keep in mind.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a good digital SLR camera ....My budget is between $500-600 dollars for a camera. Thanks ~

Do you want a LENS to go with that camera? Of course you do but it's not clear if the lens is in the $600 budget.

I always tell people to shop for the lens fist. Figure out what set of lenses you are going to want to own. Buy the camera body that will fit the lenses you like. People here are saying "D40" It's ok but look at which lenses fit the D40. Many that you might like don't work on the D40. The D50 will work with a wider selection of lenses

Your budget, if it is inclusive of the lens means you are looking to buy a used camera system. There are plenty in that price range. You need to decide "Nikon or Canon". Base that decision of what used lenses you can find.

For a fixed budget buy the best lens yo can and go cheaper on the body if you have to.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Do you want a LENS to go with that camera? Of course you do but it's not clear if the lens is in the $600 budget.

I always tell people to shop for the lens fist. Figure out what set of lenses you are going to want to own. Buy the camera body that will fit the lenses you like. People here are saying "D40" It's ok but look at which lenses fit the D40. Many that you might like don't work on the D40. The D50 will work with a wider selection of lenses

Your budget, if it is inclusive of the lens means you are looking to buy a used camera system. There are plenty in that price range. You need to decide "Nikon or Canon". Base that decision of what used lenses you can find.

For a fixed budget buy the best lens yo can and go cheaper on the body if you have to.
With that said, a used D50 might be in his budget... The LCD is a nice connivence feature, something the D40 lacks. However, the main advantage would be the D50's compatibility with more Nikon lenses...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
With that said, a used D50 might be in his budget... The LCD is a nice connivence feature, something the D40 lacks. However, the main advantage would be the D50's compatibility with more Nikon lenses...

What are you talking about? The D40 has an LCD on the back - it's actually larger than the one on the D50, according to Thom Hogan's review.

Did you mean something other than what most people probably thought you meant, perchance? ;)

Also, a brand new D40 with lens falls smack in the middle of Mantronix's price range (as I posted a while back), thanks to the D40x being released.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
What are you talking about? The D40 has an LCD on the back - it's actually larger than the one on the D50, according to Thom Hogan's review.

Did you mean something other than what most people probably thought you meant, perchance? ;)

Also, a brand new D40 with lens falls smack in the middle of Mantronix's price range (as I posted a while back), thanks to the D40x being released.

I think he means this:
Picture 7.png

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
Wow... Didn't realize how difficult it was going to be on deciding on which camera to buy. Thank you for all the input guys and I either will go with the Canon Rebel or the Nikon D40. Just gotta do more research on these two models. :)

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Wow... Didn't realize how difficult it was going to be on deciding on which camera to buy. Thank you for all the input guys and I either will go with the Canon Rebel or the Nikon D40. Just gotta do more research on these two models. :)
Both are great cameras, and I don't think you can wrong with either. If you can get your hands around both, try to do so. See which one fits your hands better, feels the best, has the features you like, etc.

Both are going to take great shots with solid lenses.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Take into consideration that lenses are expensive and that once you buy lenses for one camera, switching to another brand can be expensive too.

For example, if you get the nikon d40 and then as you get more experienced, you want to buy another camera, you would most likely buy another nikon since the lenses would not go to waste.

As one of the posters above me said, it's a good thing to go try them out. Go to your local camera store (not best buy :D ) and try both cameras.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
I think he means this:

Oh, ok - the top LCD. People seem to either love it or hate it. I prefer it (meaning I like the top LCD); but there is something to be said for having all information on one LCD rather than split between two. In any case it's not as if the same information isn't available on the D40 - it's just presented on the back LCD rather than the top, right?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Oh, ok - the top LCD. People seem to either love it or hate it. I prefer it (meaning I like the top LCD); but there is something to be said for having all information on one LCD rather than split between two. In any case it's not as if the same information isn't available on the D40 - it's just presented on the back LCD rather than the top, right?

I don't think many people hate it- but it's definitely a cost thing, and I suspect that the primary intended audience (folks moving up from a P&S) doesn't miss it as much as someone who's used to an SLR and who changes settings enough to make it useful.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Yeah. that's what I was talking about.

I think most any serious amateur or hobbyist (and of course, the pros) will find this feature advantageous - as constantly draining battery from use of the main LCD in back to change simple settings is both a technical disadvantage as well as one of convenience.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
I'd personally recommend the Canon Digital Rebel (300d). It's a step down from the XT but is a truly fantastic camera for beginners. Remember, if you buy your lenses they're cross compatible, so starting with a cheaper body isn't shooting yourself in the foot. As you can afford more, it's easy to upgrade your body and keep the glass.

You can find used bodies as low as $250-$350.

Droo13

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca
new and "old"

For a brand new camera in your price range I'd go with the Nikon D40 ($600), no need for the D40X though. Yes having 4 extra megapixels is nice, but not really necessary. However, if you wouldn't mind buying a somewhat older camera, I personally use a Nikon D70s (6.1 MP) and absolutely love it. The D70 is a few years old but now only about $450 or less, brand new. Same megapixels as the D40 and it even has the great sensor that is found in Nikon's current D200. Either way you can't go wrong. Hope this helps some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.