Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cosmacdewd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I've got a beautiful picture I'd like to put in ppt for mac, but it's too big 3.8mg.
Does anyone know a quick and cheap or free way to shrink it effectively? all I have right now is iphoto, and it only seems to let me crop, tho I do have fnl cut, cinema tools, a compressor, etc. Maybe the compressor?- tho it looks like a movie thing.
thanks!

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I've got a beautiful picture I'd like to put in ppt for mac, but it's too big 3.8mg.
Does anyone know a quick and cheap or free way to shrink it effectively? all I have right now is iphoto, and it only seems to let me crop, tho I do have fnl cut, cinema tools, a compressor, etc. Maybe the compressor?- tho it looks like a movie thing.
thanks!

A free "adobe photoshop" type program is Gimp.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have both Gimp and Seashore and can't make up my mind as to which one I prefer. Is there any reason NOT to want to run X11? Does it use huge amounts of resources or something like that (I've not noticed any difference in speed or lag in Gimp/Seashore)?

One argument against X11 is the interface is different, so it "gets in the way". For instance X11 apps will have their menus in each app window, rather than in the menu bar at the top of the screen (the typical OS X interface) - so switching back and forth between X11 apps and native OS X apps can be confusing. Also in general the fonts may be lower quality (since X11 apps will usually be using the non-patent-infringing FreeType fonts), and the overall look is clunkier.

X11 on OS X doesn't seem to consume an inordinate amount of resources - certainly much less than X11 can on, say, a Linux box. So it comes down to preference.

djdawson

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Minnesota
You can also use the "sips" command to resize images in the Terminal, as well as a bunch of other stuff. See "man sips" for more info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.