Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
I'm trying to come up with gift ideas in the $50-$100US range for my Mac photo buff father-in-law. He shoots with a Canon G9, and uses Photoshop and iPhoto on his Mac mini. He has a spider for calibrating his monitor (an old Apple 17" LCD). He's not a pro, just an enthusiast.

Right now I'm leaning towards one of the small Wacom Bamboo tablets (maybe the Pen and Touch). He's never used a tablet, and only has an original 1-button Apple mouse, so I figure it'd be a huge improvement for Photoshop work.

Are there any other good possible gift ideas in that range I'm overlooking?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The tablet is a great idea. My next suggestion would be to go to Lensmate and buy some accessories for his G9. I have the grip, the lens adapter so I can use filters and such, the hot shoe cover, and this thing my thumb rests on.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Thanks, good info. Even if I go with the tablet this time, I'll probably hit up Lensmate in the future....

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks, good info. Even if I go with the tablet this time, I'll probably hit up Lensmate in the future....

The Wacom "bambo" is good enough for photography. The more expensive tablets have pen angle and rotation sensors that is required for many kinds of free hand drawing but the pressure sensor in the Bamboo is good enough for the things photographers do.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
The Wacom "bambo" is good enough for photography. The more expensive tablets have pen angle and rotation sensors that is required for many kinds of free hand drawing but the pressure sensor in the Bamboo is good enough for the things photographers do.

Would you say the Wacom Bamboo is good enough for Architecture and design ? I have a budget i.e don't intent to spend hundreds of £'s on one, but then again not sure what to expect from this model. There will be some free hand sketches also...

Thank You

P.S I don't mean to take over your thread neilw

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Would you say the Wacom Bamboo is good enough for Architecture and design ? I have a budget i.e don't intent to spend hundreds of £'s on one, but then again not sure what to expect from this model. There will be some free hand sketches also...

Thank You

P.S I don't mean to take over your thread neilw

An "artist" that is used to drawing with things like charcoal would likely be disappointed with a bamboo. Things like pen tilt a lot of artists care about. For someone that is sketching, the bamboo works well and is dirt cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were you. Just keep in mind that on monitors 22" or bigger (or multiple monitor setups), people start recommending larger tablets.

PS OP that is a great gift idea

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
An "artist" that is used to drawing with things like charcoal would likely be disappointed with a bamboo. Things like pen tilt a lot of artists care about. For someone that is sketching, the bamboo works well and is dirt cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were you. Just keep in mind that on monitors 22" or bigger (or multiple monitor setups), people start recommending larger tablets.

PS OP that is a great gift idea

The bamboo is a great idea for a first shot, and beats the heck out of editing with a trackpad or mouse. At I have 4 wacoms, 1 old 6 in wacom, a larger Intuos 3, and last year I replaced my ArtzPad II with a Intuos3 6 x 8"... I love working with all.

Another suggestion would be one of the Eye-Fi cards for his camera if it uses an SD card....

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Find out how he likes his card reader and maybe get him a better one. I hated my old one and am happy with a $20 RAW (trade name) SD reader.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.