Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bosstucker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
So I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Canon Rebel XSI and have decided to forgo the kit lens for something a bit nicer. I've had a rebel xti and the canon 100mm f/2.8 usm macro and unfortunately had to return a loaned EF 70-200mm f/2.8L usm telephoto (amazing). I'm planning on picking up something like that telephoto sometime in the future (not now, too expensive) My budget for a lens currently is 300-500 (not very much I know) so I was wondering what a good/decent walk around lense would be, an all around performer (if it exists), and perhaps a decent portrait lens. perhaps I should clarify that my budget for each is 300-500 not 500 total for both lenses.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
So I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Canon Rebel XSI and have decided to forgo the kit lens for something a bit nicer. I've had a rebel xti and the canon 100mm f/2.8 usm macro and unfortunately had to return a loaned EF 70-200mm f/2.8L usm telephoto (amazing). I'm planning on picking up something like that telephoto sometime in the future (not now, too expensive) My budget for a lens currently is 300-500 (not very much I know) so I was wondering what a good/decent walk around lense would be, an all around performer (if it exists), and perhaps a decent portrait lens. perhaps I should clarify that my budget for each is 300-500 not 500 total for both lenses.

It depends on what you like to shoot when you walk around! :) The 24-70mm is great because it is wide and then zooms in pretty far. But, it would max out your budget.

The XSi kit lens is "supposed" to be a big improvement over previous crappy kit lenses. You might dig up some info and see how it performs -- it would certainly be a cheap walk around.

For portraits, the 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm lenses are all really good quality!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I must say that the new-and-improved kit lens is a hell of a deal for $100. I just bought an XSi kit a few weeks ago and have since tested the image stabilization quite a bit. It allowed me to get sharp shots consistently handheld and in low light at 1/4s. Also, the optics in that thing are quite good. You should check out the review at dpreview, where they say "it distinctly outperforms the more expensive 17-85mm at wide angle, and matches it over most of the rest of its range."

The popular "nifty fifty" (50mm f/1.8) is also a super deal at about $89. It makes a great portrait lens.

If you get those two, you still have about $800 left over for a good telephoto. :)

localghost

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
10-22mm (wider, more fun, crop only) or 17-40mm (very useful range, ff, a little boring on crop) and 50mm f1.8 (cheap, cheap construction, very decent optically) or f1.4 (faster, better built, ftm etc).

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Remember a few things if you go XTi -> XSi.

- Batteries are different, therefore the grip is different.
- SD cards instead of CF
- Not THAT big of an upgrade. Live View and a different body really.

As for the answer to your original question, have a look at the 50mm f/1.8 + 17-85 for a "walk around" bundle. There's no real such thing as a walk around lens since it mainly depend what you shoot, but the 17-85 is a pretty decent focal length and the 50mm f/1.8 will allow you to have something fast in your kit.

There's also the Sigma 18-200 and Tamron 18-250 options if you want to look at them.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
M@lew, I'd say the bigger upgrades for the XSi are spot metering, and a significantly more magnified viewfinder view. Far more significant that live view. Added to that are improved AF, 14-bit processing (if useful), the 3" LCD, and a few other odds and ends. Not worth upgrading from the XTi unless you can sell the XTi for a lot, but a nice upgrade for those chosing between the two new.

I'd agree with Phrasikleia. The 18-55 IS is good for the money and is getting good reviews for its optical quality. It's hard to get a basic lens to cover that range without spending a ton more. The 17-50 f/2.8 IS is in a completely different league, and is 10x as expensive. Barring that, I'd guess the best option is the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 Macro for around $400. That sounds like the perfect walk around lens other than missing IS and being heavy (weight always eventually gets annoying). Other options are the Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina f/2.8 lenses in the 16/17/18-50 range. All good, but are they really worth the cost over the kit lens for your purposes? I have the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, and as much as I like the lens I wouldn't say it makes an ideal walk around lens as it's pretty big and not very wide angle. Still, I like the lens a lot.

The 50mm f/1.8 is impossible to beat for the price, albeit plastic and a bit wonky.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Remember a few things if you go XTi -> XSi.
Not THAT big of an upgrade. Live View and a different body really.

Yes, it is "that big of an upgrade". I've tried to compile a list of what is new and improved in the XSi (in no particular order):

Live View
Larger viewfinder
Larger LCD screen (3 inches)
Spot metering
Improved 9-point AF system
14-bit A/D converter
New processor: Digic III
Faster burst mode (now 3.5fps)
Higher resolution (12.2 MP, and with remarkably low noise)
Addition of dedicated ISO button
ISO now displayed in the viewfinder
Multi-shot self-timer mode
Customizable menus
New menu system with tabs (no more scrolling)
New option for Highlight Tone Priority
New battery that lasts 50% longer
Slightly larger, but also lighter body
Slightly improved battery grip
Uses SD cards
New and improved kit lens with better optics and image stabilization
Playback as 4 and 9 image index

I think that's a significant list of improvements.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Tamrom 17-50mm f/2.8 is an outstanding little lens. Lightweight, fast-focusing, sharp, and f.2.8 all the way through.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
Canon 17-85mm IS USM lens. It's a great deal, good focal length, and a good performer. I got mine for 300 dollars on ebay and it's my standard walkaround lens.

bluesmap

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
consider:

canon 17-40 f/4L
tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (sharp, great lens)
canon 85mm 1.8 ( i honestly think this should be bought as 1 of the 2 lenses)
50mm 1.8 (very sharp lens. only 90 bucks. very very sharp lens)
canon 70-200 f/4L

all incredible lenses.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I used to 'walk around' with a Canon 28-135 IS

That lens no longer sees much use as I have switched to.....

17-40 f4/L

I have a 70-200 2.8/L

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.