Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stooley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I am looking for a good all around multipurpose lens for my A200. I would like it to take ok Macro's when needed, but do well with portraits and landscapes.

The stock lens does not take very quality pics. I have been looking at this one, but honestly, I am not 100% sure what specs I really need. Any advice? I am looking to stay under $250 or $300 for this first one.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I personally don't think you'll find a lens with the amount of quality you're looking for under $350.

Tamron makes good lenses though, so I don't think it's a big risk to try out that lens.

stooley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I personally don't think you'll find a lens with the amount of quality you're looking for under $350.

Tamron makes good lenses though, so I don't think it's a big risk to try out that lens.

Understandable. Would that lens handle what I am needing it to do? I am just no sure what I am look for as far as the focal length and other things.

Anything you would recommend under say $500?

Jan 30, 2006
Understandable. Would that lens handle what I am needing it to do? I am just no sure what I am look for as far as the focal length and other things.

Anything you would recommend under say $500?

Firstly, the focal range you are considering isn't the best for landscapes. You want something wide (among 18mm) for it. The lens you linked might be OK for portraits, the samples there show a good bokeh, but make sure you see more photos and reviews to make sure of this. As for macro, it might be acceptable for the occasional close-up photo, but not Macro work. What kind of Macro do you have in mind?

What lenses do you have right now?

My best suggestion would be that, considering what lenses you have right now, start filling the spaces with a new lens, but not a all-in-one lens, but dedicated lenses that would give you better results. It is more expensive, but considering that photography is a hobby you'll have for a long time, I think this is the best investment.

stooley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Firstly, the focal range you are considering isn't the best for landscapes. You want something wide (among 18mm) for it. The lens you linked might be OK for portraits, the samples there show a good bokeh, but make sure you see more photos and reviews to make sure of this. As for macro, it might be acceptable for the occasional close-up photo, but not Macro work. What kind of Macro do you have in mind?

What lenses do you have right now?

My best suggestion would be that, considering what lenses you have right now, start filling the spaces with a new lens, but not a all-in-one lens, but dedicated lenses that would give you better results. It is more expensive, but considering that photography is a hobby you'll have for a long time, I think this is the best investment.

Yea that makes a lot of sense. Right now I just have the stock lens. 18-70mm f 3.5-5.6

I am probably looking at more macro shots atm compared to landscapes or portraits. The stock lens will do now for the candid family shots that I have been doing lately, but I have recently been trying to take close up photo's.

Macro work would be more likely some static things like flowers and what not, but then I would also like to photograph upclose photo's of wildlife from a decent distance...not talking 100's of yards, but would not mind being 25-50 feet away from the object. Does this make sense?

Jan 30, 2006
Yeah, it makes sense to think about this lens then.:)

For wildlife 300mm is a very good reach. The lens you link might not be very fast, but supposing you'll be taking photos during the day under sunlight you won't have any problems.

And seeing that the lens is at a very reasonable price, I would say it should be a good buy.

blackstone

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Washington, DC
Yea that makes a lot of sense. Right now I just have the stock lens. 18-70mm f 3.5-5.6

I am probably looking at more macro shots atm compared to landscapes or portraits. The stock lens will do now for the candid family shots that I have been doing lately, but I have recently been trying to take close up photo's.

Macro work would be more likely some static things like flowers and what not, but then I would also like to photograph upclose photo's of wildlife from a decent distance...not talking 100's of yards, but would not mind being 25-50 feet away from the object. Does this make sense?

Particularly given your price range, you should take a look at some of the older Minolta Maxxum lenses available on the used market. The 70-200mm/f4 "beercan" lens (produced during the 1980s, during Minolta's brief collaboration with Leica on lens designs) is a wonderfully sharp lens with good color rendition. Its only flaw is that it's a slow focuser. It's a considerably better lens for the money than the Tamron you're looking at, as long as you get one in good condition.

unknowns

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
The Lens

Particularly given your price range, you should take a look at some of the older Minolta Maxxum lenses available on the used market. The 70-200mm/f4 "beercan" lens (produced during the 1980s, during Minolta's brief collaboration with Leica on lens designs) is a wonderfully sharp lens with good color rendition. Its only flaw is that it's a slow focuser. It's a considerably better lens for the money than the Tamron you're looking at, as long as you get one in good condition.

The lens your looking at has good reviews, BUT, it has weak corners when full zoomed out to 75mm. But you should expect that with a lens below $500. Still it is great for landscape and close up portrait shots. I'd stick with the kit lens for macro shots just because it is a wider-angle lens. Hope This helps!

can.rules

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
I have the Sony DT18/250

And it does some very decent results. You can't get much more multi-purpose than this. It can do decent close-up (like flowers, not great for real macro shots, though) and it is very nice for landscapes, and portraits.

The main advantage of it is that you can just carry a single lens, so it is great for trips where you want to travel light, or don't want to change lenses.

Look on flickr for lots of sample photos with this lens.

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
What's wrong with kit lens?

What exactly do you not like, or find lacking, in the kit lens? In being a bit more specific, more appropriate suggestions may be put forward.

I'll tell you, and I hope you take no offense, that most of the time, its the operator rather than the lens/camera. And seeking better results through optics is often fruitless.

Better lenses are out there. Its just a matter of knowing what you want.

Cheers!

I am looking for a good all around multipurpose lens for my A200. I would like it to take ok Macro's when needed, but do well with portraits and landscapes.

The stock lens does not take very quality pics. I have been looking at this one, but honestly, I am not 100% sure what specs I really need. Any advice? I am looking to stay under $250 or $300 for this first one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.