Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
hey photogs!
I've had a lot of questions about photography lately that I feel would get more answers elsewhere than the 'ol MR DP board. I know of FredMiranda, photo.net, and the others, but I have seen some posts from some pros who think they're really high brow. I have also been on sites like flickr where many people in discussions are not even very well informed. I know lots of great (professional) photographers in real life who are secure enough to be nice to a 13 year old amateur like me.
I'm wondering what photo forum a young amateur would be most welcome and get the best advice at. I'm also hoping to find somewhere users of all sorts of gear post. I'm a Pentax guy, so that rules out a lot of those canon/nikon sites out there.

Thanks,
wmmk

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Flickr? They have amateur groups you can join and have discussions. Put yer photos up too and see what people think and ask them to point you in the right direction.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I posted in another thread - I just created a photography forum.

We'd love to have you around there, there are a ton of nice people to answer camera questions.

my forum

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Personally I love MR becuase although its for mac's I have learned more from this site than other photography forums... just a little advice though if u have a myspace NEVER JOIN THEIR GROUPS.... those people can be very critical with little to no constructive criticism. No offense to anyone that enjoys them but it seem (how to put this hmmmm) stuck up, like they know everything about photography and if u don't like their picture then u are an uncultured slob

Sorry I just despise those groups :p

Good luck in your search though

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
dpreview.com has forums which I frequent. They also have everything else you could need as far as cameras go. FredMiranda.com is awesome but last time I went there I had so many problems with the site being slow I gave up and haven't returned. I also really love http://www.nikonians.org/ but I shoot Nikon so it's specific like that. ;)

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
I second the DPreview.com forums. The traffic is so high, you can usually get an answer within minutes there, and there are enough sub-forums to cover any topic really. And since its so diverse there aren't as many brand-wars there.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
dpreview is good, but you need a thick skin, and I've sometimes found the advice suspect. photography on the net is a good Canon resource, of course it doesn't have the shear speed that dpreview does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.