Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi,

I'm looking for a self-training tutorial type book on photoshop. i'm used to corel photo paint and recently started using photoshop more (as I begin to see and understand it's an industry standard). I know how to do certain things, but i'm wondering if a self-training book would serve me well. i've looked at some night college courses, but they seem to start at the very basics and i would consider myself to be at an intermediate level.

i was look at "How To Wow: Photoshop For Photography" by Jack Davis. Seems like a good book.

i create photo slideshows as part of my business. I scan, retouch and restore colour for photos quite often. I've become quite fast (and i think good) at fixing photos, but i'd like to learn a proper way if possible.

Also, the faster I become at editing, the faster I can turnaround projects for my clients.

any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
keebler

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
You posted this in the photography forum, so I assume you are wanting to use Photoshop to enhance your photos.

This is the best book I've ever come across for learning Photoshop for photography purposes. Highly, highly, highly recommended:

Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers

There's a CS1 version as well.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You posted this in the photography forum, so I assume you are wanting to use Photoshop to enhance your photos.

This is the best book I've ever come across for learning Photoshop for photography purposes. Highly, highly, highly recommended:

Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers

There's a CS1 version as well.

I've had the book for Photoshop version 7 and it's great. The author also writes regularly for What Digital Camera.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I work with Photoshop for a living. When it comes to working with and fixing photographs in the program, the best book I've seen is Katrin Eismann's book. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Res..._bbs_sr_1/102-5208764-8340162?ie=UTF8&s=books

I like her book as well. I have that book along with her "masking" book. As someone on this thread already mentioned, Photoshop for Photographers (by Martin Evening) is good. Scott Kelby's books tend to include too much of bad jokes (I completed his Photoshop for Digital Photographers book). How to Cheat in Photoshop is a good one as well. Of course, Adobe's own Classroom series is good. One-on-One book by Deke McClelland also helped me learn PS.

I am now going through Photoshop CS2 Wow! book and Skin (The complete guide to digitally lighting, photographing, and retouching faces and bodies).

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi everyone,

just wanted to SHOUT out a huge THANKS! for all the feedback! :)

i ordered the restoration book by katrin E and i'm going to check out the classroom in a book title. once i muddle through those, i'll see if i need more.

and thanks for the thought on the podcast! I'm dloading those right now! :)

Thanks. i really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Keebler

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I work with Photoshop for a living. When it comes to working with and fixing photographs in the program, the best book I've seen is Katrin Eismann's book. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Res..._bbs_sr_1/102-5208764-8340162?ie=UTF8&s=books

Good luck.

hey mashny! I just wanted to say a huge THANKS! for recommending this book.

it's now my 'bible' and has taught me much in the way of speeding up my restorations and providing insight to a better (and probably proper) way of fixing photos.

thanks mang!
Cheers,
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.