Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pieface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
I'm looking for a good place, such as a fansite etc where you can buy used DSLRs? Preferably a Nikon D40.

Has to be Used for England.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Thats what I thought. And its also annoying that you have to pay to pretty much do anything on there.

Well, here's the deal imo. Sure, the Nikonians site isn't going to win any design awards, but there are some very serious / pro photographers giving out extremely valuable advice for "free". In contrast, macrumors' averaged advice quality is HORRIBLE....and free.

Funny, I never have any trouble getting around the nikonians site.

Dealing with people at Nikonians...buying gear... my experience has been exceptionally good.

Craigslist is a nothing short of a roll of the dice. KEH is better in some ways.
Fredmiranda and Nikonians are far better choices and well worth the price of entry.

If $25 isn't worth it to *you* for getting well taken care of gear via secure means (PayPal) at fair prices as well as advice from pro photogs...ok...to each their own.

Pieface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Well, here's the deal imo. Sure, the Nikonians site isn't going to win any design awards, but there are some very serious / pro photographers giving out extremely valuable advice for "free". In contrast, macrumors' averaged advice quality is HORRIBLE....and free.

Funny, I never have any trouble getting around the nikonians site.

Dealing with people at Nikonians...buying gear... my experience has been exceptionally good.

Craigslist is a nothing short of a roll of the dice. KEH is better in some ways.
Fredmiranda and Nikonians are far better choices and well worth the price of entry.

If $25 isn't worth it to *you* for getting well taken care of gear via secure means (PayPal) at fair prices as well as advice from pro photogs...ok...to each their own.
For a Beginner, and I mean beginner to Photography, that I'm not sure its for me yet until I try, I don't see myself paying $25 for a website, when there are other websites out there, including NikonCafe for example.

I plan to go to a few courses in Photography anyway, as I get them for free because of where I work before anyone says but you will learn.

And yeah, Craigslist wasn't that helpful for me.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
For a Beginner, and I mean beginner to Photography, that I'm not sure its for me yet until I try, I don't see myself paying $25 for a website, when there are other websites out there, including NikonCafe for example.

I plan to go to a few courses in Photography anyway, as I get them for free because of where I work before anyone says but you will learn.

And yeah, Craigslist wasn't that helpful for me.

OK.

I recommend nikongear.com too. Strobist.com is essential (!!) imo.

Just one example from Nikonians. Two weeks ago, I got a package deal: D80, sb800 and 50 1.4 for $550...all "like new". I'm not saying that's a typical deal...I'm just sayin' :)

The D80 is now my girlfriend's BU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.