Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
As I am getting more and more actual (as in, paying) photography jobs, I'm looking to pick up a used D2x or D1x as a backup camera. I was wondering if anyone could point out a good vendor or location to buy one of these cameras...

I am rather hesitant about using eBay for my purchases as there is usually no return policy..

In any case, I also live in Canada so that may affect the places that would be able to sell it to me.

Any input is greatly appreciated..

(And if you are wondering why I am choosing a D2x/D1x over, say, a D80/D60/D90 it is because of 1) battery life (I currently use En-l4e batteries with my d300 (in battery pack) and would like to stay with this battery) and 2) IQ (In many comparisons, the relatively small amount of pixels on each sensor apparently yields smoother photos).

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Skip D1x. I use one pretty frequently and unless you're paying less then... $300 then its not worth it.

Just so you know, by pretty much every count the D300 is better then the D2X. Its faster, has better battery life, better IQ, better noise performance... I don't think there is a single tangible benefit of the D2x over the D300 with a grip.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Skip D1x. I use one pretty frequently and unless you're paying less then... $300 then its not worth it.

Just so you know, by pretty much every count the D300 is better then the D2X. Its faster, has better battery life, better IQ, better noise performance... I don't think there is a single tangible benefit of the D2x over the D300 with a grip.

Thanks for the D1x advice.

As for the D2x vs D300 argument, you're probably right... However I've seen D2x's selling on eBay and some other sites for around 700 - 800 dollars, which fits right into my price range..

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Thanks for the D1x advice.

As for the D2x vs D300 argument, you're probably right... However I've seen D2x's selling on eBay and some other sites for around 700 - 800 dollars, which fits right into my price range..

Wow, I had NO idea they were that low. When I wrote my post, I was assuming they were still around $1500 (same as d300).

If you can find one that cheap, I say go for it. You get a true pro body for the same as a new d80 :D

Edit - are you sure? I'm looking on ebay and used bodies are around $1300 with time left on the bidding... in that case, my remark stands. You may have been looking at the D2h or some other d2 body (far worse then the d2x, only 4mp)

This one sold for $1700 used...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAUTIFUL-NIKON...ryZ43456QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes, the lowest final price I see currently on ebay.com is about $1250.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.