Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
Looking to pick up a solid point and shoot camera to carry around when I'd rather not deal with the bulk of my DSLRs (XSi, 7D).

The Canon S90 sounds amazing, and it's pretty high up on my list, however I'm a little turned off by the price.

Are there any decent point and shoots for around the $200 mark?

4 of my last 6 camera purchases have been Canon, and I've never been disappointed with their devices, so I'm a little biased towards them, but I'm definitely willing to try other brands (provided they use SD/SDHC memory).

My requirements for a camera:
-Good image quality
-Passable low light performance (nothing earth shattering, but I'd rather it not come out looking more staticy than anything else)
-Pocketable I do not need one of those superzooms; the standard 3-6x optical zoom is fine by me
-Uses SD memory
-Decent battery life, and easy to buy third party batteries for (i.e., not some of Panasonic's newer cameras)
-Again, around $200 is ideal. If I'm going to approach the $300 mark, I might as well get the S90.

Any input is hugely appreciated :D

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
Samsung TL320

I owned the Samsung TL320 before I gave it to my girlfriend after I bought a DSLR, and I've always been impressed with the image quality. It has full manual control and does decently in low light. It won't compete with the S90 in terms of control and noise, but it's faster and only $200. Plus, it has a great build quality, and I've loved it.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-TL320...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274295034&sr=8-1

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I swear by the Canon Elph series. I have owned numerous Elph cameras and all of them have been absolutely fantastic. My current P&S is a Canon SD870. It takes amazing pictures for such a small camera. Highly recommended. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.