Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'm looking for a new printer and I figured I may as well get a reallllly nice one, right? When I say really nice I mean in a reasonable price range... Has to be a lazer printer, has to printer larger sizes than copier paper, and I want it to be able to turn out very nice looking pictures on photo paper. Suggestions? I've never had a problem with our HP's but I know so little about printers.:(

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Buschmaster said:
... Has to be a lazer printer, has to printer larger sizes than copier paper, and I want it to be able to turn out very nice looking pictures on photo paper. Suggestions? I've never had a problem with our HP's but I know so little about printers.:(

Laser that prints on photo paper? We have a color laser at work that prints tabloid size, it is a monster and it can't touch what you can do on an Epson 1800R or 2400?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Anything canon. They have both large format dye subs, and ink jets.

the i9900 is super ink jet.
the pro9000 and 9500 are probably just as good if not better, especially the pro9500. But I haven't seen reviews of them. So now its about price.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I own the Epson R1800. I like the results, though they are not that much better than what I got from my old 960 (no longer in production and not wide format). The added gloss cartridge is nice and you can turn it off in the print menu if you desire.

I like its CD/DVD printing and it is the fastest inkjet from Epson I've owned.

As always, the search for low cost ink goes on.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Haha, my mind was in two different places when I suggested laser...

Anyway. I've started looking at other companies and it appears that, if the other companies products are reliable, you can get a lot more bang for the buck... I'll take a very close look at all of these. Right now I have a PSC 1315 from HP that I use. I also have a Deskjet 940c. That'll give you guys an idea the kind of quality I'm working with right now.

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
What is your "resonable price range?" it could be 300 to 600 or it could be 5000 to 10000 :p

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
numediaman said:
I own the Epson R1800. I like the results, though they are not that much better than what I got from my old 960 (no longer in production and not wide format). The added gloss cartridge is nice and you can turn it off in the print menu if you desire.

I like its CD/DVD printing and it is the fastest inkjet from Epson I've owned.

As always, the search for low cost ink goes on.

We have the R1800 here at work, and I really like the quality of it. We upgraded from the 1270, and I like the results (and the speed!) a lot better.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
jared_kipe said:
Anything canon. They have both large format dye subs, and ink jets.

the i9900 is super ink jet.
the pro9000 and 9500 are probably just as good if not better, especially the pro9500. But I haven't seen reviews of them. So now its about price.

I'm with this guy. I own a i9900, love it. Only thing I can say is despite what people might say in other threads:MEGAPIXELS DO MATTER. You try printing anything under 4 megapixels at 13x19 and if you look close enough you will see pixels. (My friend and I were printing some D70 RAW shots and depending what you took a picture of, you might notice a little something). I havent tried printing with my D200 yet but I expect nothing but good results.

Gamey

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Scotland
Looking for a really nice printer that will do big photos and at a reasonable price?

My initial thoughts were that the Epson 7800 is very reasonably priced at the moment, esp when you consider what you get in terms of output and hardware.
I take it you are looking for something priced around the mid hundreds that is capable of good quality A3+ prints. Epson 2400 would be an obvious choice so would the R1800 if you wanted something a little cheaper, but there are others that are catching up with Epson's technology, HP and Canon do some very good printers. I'd stick with the Epson, but I would say that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.