Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I bought a few DP books today (PSE 4, shooting RAW with PS CS2/PSE, and editing landscapes in PS) and noticed that Camera Raw CS2 is a bit more sophisticated than the PSE 4 version. This led me to thinking about the fact that I'm really not capitalizing on the advantages of RAW right now. Sure, ACR does WB and exposure, but Pentax Lab did a lot more than that. The only problem is that I want to use DNG from start to finish, and I hate the UI of the Pentax/silkypix apps. also, I don't need a great cataloging/DAM solution, just RAW editing.
thanks,
wmmk

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I bought a few DP books today (PSE 4, shooting RAW with PS CS2/PSE, and editing landscapes in PS) and noticed that Camera Raw CS2 is a bit more sophisticated than the PSE 4 version. This led me to thinking about the fact that I'm really not capitalizing on the advantages of RAW right now. Sure, ACR does WB and exposure, but Pentax Lab did a lot more than that. The only problem is that I want to use DNG from start to finish, and I hate the UI of the Pentax/silkypix apps. also, I don't need a great cataloging/DAM solution, just RAW editing.
thanks,
wmmk

Typically, the camera manufacturer's converter will give the best results. I haven't done any comparisons between ACR in CS3 and Nikon's Capture NX yet- I really liked the old ACR interface, and I think the CS3 version is a heck of an improvement. Workflow-wise it'll probably win for me unless I get Capture One.

If you've got CS2, you really owe it to yourself to download the CS3 beta.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Typically, the camera manufacturer's converter will give the best results. I haven't done any comparisons between ACR in CS3 and Nikon's Capture NX yet- I really liked the old ACR interface, and I think the CS3 version is a heck of an improvement. Workflow-wise it'll probably win for me unless I get Capture One.

If you've got CS2, you really owe it to yourself to download the CS3 beta.

unfortunately, I only have PSE 4, but I'll get PS when I have the money and I feel that I know all the ins and outs of PSE. As I said, the Pentax software is fairly capable, but something about it irritates me to the point that I find it unusable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.